Top 3 Irish Films

cole

What are you're favorite Irish fillums? Mine are (in no particular order)

I Went Down
Garage
The Field

I watched Garage last night on DVD and was blown away by Pat Shortts perfomance. Excellent actor I thought.

Bit of a tricky one as I'm unsure if all the following were produced in Ireland (I think not) - but mine are:

The Quiet Man
Intermission
My Left Foot

Excaliber
Michael Collins
Braveheart
Saving Private Ryan

I know it's 4 but Saving private Ryan and brave heart were only half made here as was The Quiet Man.

If we're doing war films Enemy at the Gates is unexpectedly good and according to imdb has an Irish connection.

Thank god no one has mentioned Eat the Peach yet.

Anybody seen The Matchmaker. Its really funny. About the guy running for presidency in the US looking for some Irish roots.

I thought "Garage" was a very special film, "Breakfast on Pluto" is pretty good too, after that...."Intermission"; does "Kings" count?

I thought "Garage" was a very special film, "Breakfast on Pluto" is pretty good too, after that...."Intermission"; does "Kings" count?

directed by a Derry man and starring Irish actors - why would it not?

Anybody seen The Matchmaker. Its really funny. About the guy running for presidency in the US looking for some Irish roots.

I couldn't get past the incredible bog-Oirishness of that movie. In general, any movie set in Ireland starring David Kelly as a harmless rogue and featuring American actors is to be avoided.

In Bruges must qualify going by the others criteria. It is definitely one worth seeing and won't appeal to those who easily offend, all the more reason to like it.

Certainly agree with you LDFerguson the Matchmaker was very bog Irish but still thought it was a great laugh. Maybe being brought up in the heart of the country and remembering back to my parents generation and old people I would have known and stories heard, it was'nt too far removed!!!

My favourite 3
The Run of the Country
Breakfast on Pluto
I Went Down

Honourable mentions
The Van, The Butcher Boy, Saltwater, Broken Harvest, Korea, My Left Foot, The Dead.

Overhyped:
The Commitments, Intermission, Michael Collins.

Some Mother's Son was in many ways a good movie but I was repelled by its glorification of IRA terrorism.

My top 3

The General
Waking Ned Devine
Inside I'm Dancing (aka Rory O'Shea was here). **excellent

Happy days for Bard movie fans :D

"Hollywood heavyweight Anthony Hopkins is coming to Ireland to film a major movie version of Shakespeare's King Lear"

Gwyneth Paltrow, Naomi Watts and Kiera Knightley will play the tragic king's three daughters;

And maybe best of all it could be true to the text with no modern rubbish!

"I'm not very fond of the modern adaptations," Director Stern said. "It's pre-Roman, Celtic, very raw."

Tiffany and Jacinta in "Finglas Nights" (acting was a little raw, but the special effects had to be seen)
Short-shank Redemption aka Mountjoy's Burning (edge of your seat thriller)
Intermission (the irony of a Castleknock scumbag)

Back