Too many cars...don't know what I want!

Gabriel

Okay...so this is slightly light hearted in nature...but I have some serious questions to throw in too.

I like this section of AAM for two reasons. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about some cars because I have an interest in them and secondly there's a few very knowledgeable heads floating around these parts.

So...I thought I'd share with people what I've been considering buying over the past while and people can comment on the various motors as they wish. I'm really quite open to ideas.

I currently own a '03 Primera but am trying to get rid of it right now. Am looking for something which is sporty yet not garish, reliable, easy enough to maintain and finally has decent poke.

1) Golf MkIV GTI - All reviews are average. 130 BHP is decent but have heard they can give a lot of problems. Steering away from this idea recently.

2) Gold MkIV PD GTI - Reviews are good...not that many out there and I'm not overly keen on a diesel.

3) Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCI - Great car but diesel and very 'company car-ish'. Want something more individual.

4) Mitsubishi FTO or GTO. Yes, yes I know. Two problems...FTO is a little bit boy racer-ish which puts me off and also expensive for an older car. Insurance would probably be horrendous.

5) BMW 320/323i Coupe (circa 97-99) - I'm seriously leaning this way if I can find a nice one. Would lean more towards 320 from insurance and road tax pov but want leather interior. Every review I read says driving dynamics of coupe is amazing.

6) BMW 318is Coupe - Was thinking this way but a lot of reviews say they're very underpowered.

7) Audi A4 1.8T Quattro (circa 99/00). There's a nice one on carzone right now for 12.5k but am wary of costs of maintenance etc...

8) Lexus ls200 - Heard great things about it. Only off putting thing is every review says it's very underpowered. Must be heavy as 2.0 litre car!

9) Audi A3 1.8T - Seem very overpriced and hard to find.

10) Alfa 147/156 - Cheap second hand and good driving/performance (from what I hear). My problem is with supposed reliablity. Want this next car for a few years.

11) Toyota Supra - :D (...and then the reality of a 3 litre engine kicks in...)

12) (Old) Toyota Celica. The new ones are for hairdressers. Like the older ones but am put off by older cars because interiors are crap looking. Can be hard to find one without 10k worth of body part extras :|

13) Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC - Again...older car. Rubbish looking interiors. Just not sure.

Anyone any opinions or suggestions I might not have thought of (besides the obvious fact that I haven't a clue what I want)?

Gabriel said:
3) Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCI - Great car but diesel and very 'company car-ish'. Want something more individual.

Yes, but as far as I know, this Mondeo diesel is now actually fitted with the Peugeot/Citreon diesel engines which are as good as you'll get when it comes to performance and smoothness from a diesel.

Looks like you have answered your question yourself - from reading your post it appears that the car you really want is the 320ci

AFAIK they only came out in 99 so that is the earliest that you will find. By all accounts they are a good car. In buying a car older than 5 yrs I would be inclined to place a very high value on the reported reliability of the car. As ever www.honestjohn.co.uk should help for this. No matter how nice a car is, if it breaks down a lot you will quickly turn against it

Gabriel said:
13) Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC - Again...older car. Rubbish looking interiors. Just not sure.

My boyfriend bought one of these last year and I was a bit put off by the interior - I initially thought it looked a little bit shabby.

I have to say I've completely changed my mind - it's a great car and although it's old (94 import) he's had no problems at all with it, well apart from someone smashing the window to steal the radio a while ago and it was a little bit difficult to track down a replacement window.

The worst thing about the car is the tiny back seat, believe me it's not comfortable for long journeys. And between that back seat and my two seater car we ended up having to borrow our Dads cars when moving into our house because we couldn't fit "big things" in the cars.

Hi Soy.

I guess you're right...that's the way I'm leaning right now. Not many in dealers (circa 97-99) and I'm not willing to spend more than 15k so will have to go private route.

I'm pretty sure they made the 320i coupe before 99. Friend owns a 97 model. Drives like a dream.

Wouldn't be pushed on BMW servicing either for car older than 99, especially as they usually ask you to bend over as soon as you walk through the door.

Would love the 323i version but insurance, tax and petrol are a consideration...even though this will probably turn out to be a weekend car.

Hi Cahir,

Thanks for the feedback on the Prelude. Don't think backseat would bother me too much as I don't have kids.

Primera is great for transporting stuff around in but am more interested in driving dynamics than big car.

I suppose Honda has that reputation for cars that last longer than most lifespans but I'm sure as car is not in production now parts may be hard to come by. That would be an issue for me I guess.

Still...something I will definitely think about if I can sell mine and buy private.

Gabriel said:
8) Lexus ls200 - Heard great things about it. Only off putting thing is every review says it's very underpowered. Must be heavy as 2.0 litre car!
Underpowered was not my experience - Very fast, and the manual version has a very smooth 6-speed gearbox, which allows you to move up through the gears very quickly.

RainyDay said:
Underpowered was not my experience - Very fast, and the manual version has a very smooth 6-speed gearbox, which allows you to move up through the gears very quickly.

Really? Thanks for that feedback Rainy. That was the one thing putting me right off. May well take a test drive in one so.

As it's a Lexus/Toyota parts & servicing are cheap and will run forever.

I think I have two front runners so...

Sorry Ronan...meant to say - yes you're right. It's a common rail diesel and probably better than petrol Zetec (which is why I mentioned it). Off putting aspect is company car/slightly boring nature of Mondeo.

RedTop said:
Subaru Impreza WRX
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO
Saab 9-3 Turbo
Nissan Skyline

Hi RedTop.

All good suggestions...however. Impreza and Evo out of question. Way too boy racerish. They both have really bad reps for that and so from that pov they just wouldn't suit me. Also...I don't like the look of either.

Actually thought about Saab 93 alright but would have to be the new model (03 on) and they're a little pricey.

Skyline is something else I considered but insurance, tax and (once again) boy racerish pedigree puts me off them a little.

Volvo S60.

2 litre turbo petrol - 180bhp and safe and solid.

I drove one recently on a fast motorway journey and was quite impressed.

Hi Gabriel,
you are correct there is a pre 99 coupe but it is the old model (320 is)
If you want the ci you need to go to 99. They are not that common and if you want one for 15k you are definitely going private. Would also test drive a IS200. With the new model arriving here in Janurary, it should knock a few euro off the value of the old ones.

On an older car, I personally would stay away from anything with a turbo - just another thing to go wrong, espically if its not a Japanese car

RS2K said:
Volvo S60.

2 litre turbo petrol - 180bhp and safe and solid.

I drove one recently on a fast motorway journey and was quite impressed.

Yeah...gave that one some thought too RS2K. But I gave up on the idea mainly due to the size of the car. It's a big car and I want something a little bit niftier! I like the new S40...but far too expensive.

..and too small. The new S40 is much smaller than the old one.

The S80 is a barge but the S60 isn't huge tbh. It looks substantial though.

Have a search for an older V40 T4. A bit of a beast, but practical too. Handles like a bulk tanker unfortunately.

RS2K said:
..and too small. The new S40 is much smaller than the old one.

The S80 is a barge but the S60 isn't huge tbh. It looks substantial though.

Have a search for an older V40 T4. A bit of a beast, but practical too. Handles like a bulk tanker unfortunately.

Yeah...the S40 is small alright. But I believe it drives better than its predessor...which wouldn't be hard. Brother bought an older model 04 there a few months back and hates it.

Might take a proper look at the S60 so...but I still think I'd opt for Lexus or BMW over it.

Can't see myself in a V40...that's the estate right? Far too big for me I think :O

I would have thought anything would be a big improvement over a new type primera.

If you a leaning towards 3 series coupe, a friend of mine had a 320d coupe. Great looks, blinding performance and excellent fuel economy.

Admitidley it might be easier to find hens teeth, but well worth considering.

I know I have said it on other threads but the 130 bhp TDI engine in any audi or vw is excellent.

Sorry about slagging the primera but I couldn't help it.

Frank said:
I would have thought anything would be a big improvement over a new type primera.

If you a leaning towards 3 series coupe, a friend of mine had a 320d coupe. Great looks, blinding performance and excellent fuel economy.

Admitidley it might be easier to find hens teeth, but well worth considering.

I know I have said it on other threads but the 130 bhp TDI engine in any audi or vw is excellent.

Sorry about slagging the primera but I couldn't help it.

Thanks Frank.

No offence taken on the Primera by the way. I'm convinced the dealer slipped me some rohypnol or something. Don't get me wrong...it's a lot of car considering what I paid. And I can see why it would suit other people. As saloons go it's quite a good looking car. Lots of stuff as standard and reliable enough. It's two main drawbacks are power (1.6) and handling (akin to that of a large sofa). I know someone a lot older than me who owns one and he loves it. I just find it very, very unexciting.

You're right about the 320D coupe too...very hard to find ;)

Back