Toll rates - car + trailer

Super critical

Hi all,

I’m struggling to find an answer to what the toll rates are for a car and trailer? I’m towing for many years but never had to go though a toll until a planned (essential) trip this weekend and it just came to mind that I don’t know what the additional cost (if any) for going through with a trailer.

Added to that in one direction I will be travelling late in the evening when from experience there is no one manning the toll.

You can see all the rates here. There is no additional charge for a trailer.

And on payment:

The following toll plazas also accept card payment by Visa Debit or Mastercard only - M1, M3, M4, N25, M7/8, Dublin Tunnel and the M6. Please note, toll plazas which do not accept card payment are the M8, Limerick Tunnel and the East Link Bridge.
I'd guess there will always be someone available on the tolls that don't accept card payment. There's always the button to call for assistance.

I’ve a commercial vehicle. Usually I’m charged €3.40 (eg M7/M8) but at some tolls I’m charged €1.90. I don’t know why. Suffice to say, their charging system has some bugs in it.

One thing you can do, though maybe it’s not as lucrative since the reduced coinage in use during the pandemic:

The car only lanes will not give change, i.e. if you’re charged €1.90 and you insert a €2 coin, the barrier will lift but you won’t get you’re €0.10 back.
However, they do reject coins. And there’s usually (back in the day anyway) a fistful of coins lying in the tray. Most motorists think the machine has swallowed a coin or coins. But it’s just been rejected and returned

I used to be a frequent Dublin-Cork motorist and I’d collect enough rejected coins to cover my tolls and coffee breaks.

Toll-staff are wide to this though, and grab the rejected coinage a number of times a day.

I’ve a commercial vehicle. Usually I’m charged €3.40 (eg M7/M8) but at some tolls I’m charged €1.90. I don’t know why. Suffice to say, their charging system has some bugs in it.
Is it a van? Many of the automatic system struggle to differentiate between smaller vans and cars, commercial jeeps etc.

One thing you can do, though maybe it’s not as lucrative since the reduced coinage in use during the pandemic:

The car only lanes will not give change, i.e. if you’re charged €1.90 and you insert a €2 coin, the barrier will lift but you won’t get you’re €0.10 back.
However, they do reject coins. And there’s usually (back in the day anyway) a fistful of coins lying in the tray. Most motorists think the machine has swallowed a coin or coins. But it’s just been rejected and returned

I used to be a frequent Dublin-Cork motorist and I’d collect enough rejected coins to cover my tolls and coffee breaks.

Toll-staff are wide to this though, and grab the rejected coinage a number of times a day.

Sumtimes the rejected coins end up on the ground too so well worth opening the door instead of the window

Thanks all, I read the replies earlier but didn’t get a chance to respond. I went through two tolls, both unmanned. Got charged 3.40 at the first one for some reason and 1.90 at the second. Think the first was just a glitch I’ve had happen once or twice before and didn’t have time to go ringing the buzzer and complaining.

It’s a pickup. I’d assumed it’s priced based on the reg though?
Only on the M50, the rest are either eyeballed by the attendant or there are sensors in the road counting axels or light bars which measure the vehicle size.

Back