Toll Bridge can they refuse coppers?

C

cara mck

I was on the Westlink toll bridge today and went to the lane with correct money only. However when it was my turn to pay, I saw the last minute sign saying they do not take coppers (i.e. one, two and five cent coins), therefore instead of paying €1.80 I had to pay €2.00 as I could not use the copper change (15 cent worth) I had ready.

If you went into a shop they would not refuse you to pay for an item with coppers, as it is legal tender , is this an illegal and maybe money making practice, and is there any regulation agency who controls toll booths.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cara Mc K

I don't think any retailer is obliged to accept cash (in any form), although clearly one wouldn't think it would be in their commercial interest to do so.

Retailers set their own terms of sale and in most cases, consumers can choose whether to make a purchase or not under these terms. The difficulty in this case is that with NTL, you're dealing with a virtual monopoly which can apply terms of sale that wouldn't be accepted in other sectors.

Bottom line is that your only option, if you're not satisfied with their terms of sale, is to boycott them. This isn't practicaly possible in most cases and that's why they can get away with it.

coppers

If they accepted coppers in the 2 exact change lanes, which are meant to be faster then the other manned booth lanes, how long do you think it would take for everyone to dig out 1 and 2 cent coins to get the exact change, especially at peak time? I would say its for practical reasons and not any great swindle to get 20c out of those who dont have change.

Re: coppers

I would say its for practical reasons and not any great swindle to get 20c out of those who dont have change.
Another practical reason may be that the bank charges them less for processing the coins if there are no coppers (I'm assuming the bank does charge them to process coins, as with other businesses??).

on toll roads that i drove on in the States the exact change lane was an unmanned bucket. Yiou could chuck whatever coinage you wanted in and if it added up the gate would open..

...I saw the last minute sign saying they do not take coppers...

NTR discriminating against members of An Garda Síochána?

Whatever next! :)

You can pay with coppers, just not in the express lanes. You can actually use 5c coins in the express lanes but not 1c & 2c coins. I suppose the issue with the express lanes could be the time it takes to count the small change or maybe they have difficulties calibrating the machines to read the smaller coins.

Toll Bridge

It seems NTR can do what they like!!!

Protest & it may be free!

Re: Toll Bridge

I collect all my small copper change and give it to the attendant when ever I use the toll bridge, which I avoid whenever I can.

Murt

Back