toilet water coming up thru shower?

Sheena1, you really need to get access to the manhole. When you say sealed, is it completely covered? Could the concrete be chiseled away?
Leo

It is not completely covered but there is about three inches of concrete all the way around it. Is this the only option? If the pipe is blocked between the shower and the manhole will the brushes work? I would have thought I would only be pushing the blockage back further? Sorry if I am asking silly question but this is new to me!

If there is a blockage, access to the manhole will help identify where it is. Why was the manhole covered?

Is there a vent on the soil stack, the pipe coming from the toilet? Can you see where the pipe from the toilet comes out through the wall? I presume the shower waste is feeding into this pipe.

Yes there is just one big pipe (with a vent) coming from the en-suite. When I pour water down the sink/shower the toilet gurgles and splutters and vice versa when i flush the toilet. I tried caustic soda yesterday but the blockage is still there.
Whoever laid the footpath just seems to have sealed around the manhole cover. I could get someone to chip away at the concrete and have a look?

You don't necessarily have a blockage. That's why I suggested the antisiphon valve. There is not enough air getting into the system so the use of one waste pipe is pulling water out of trap on the other.

But you need to clear that manhole anyway - essential to have access to the drains in case there is a blockage.

Is the bathroom on the ground floor or an upper floor?

Our last builder poured the concrete footpath over one of our manholes too! Not a big problem to remove it. Personally I would recommend getting a drain cleaning co. to jetblast the lines with a jetting unit. Do not use rods as you could end up with a bigger problem than you started with - lose them causing a bigger blockage! A drain cleaning co. should charge about €150 and it should take less than 30mins to clear. They should also be able to advise of possible problem.

Hey I have read all the posts and they are all linked to having a house.

Living in a new apartment block (1 year old) and none of the other apts that we know of have the problem.

Flush toilet in main bathroom and it comes back up the shower. The shower has only been used twice in the year (no shower screen) and when we queried the problem the builders said it is because the shower doesn't get used! Is this possible? Or is their a bigger issue. It isn't an issue in the Ensuite.

Any suggestions would be apprecaited since it is an apartment block and I am the only apt on my floor with the issue I can't go digging up the manholes in the car park. It is the 6th floor.

Thanks

Back