Toilet not flushing properly

george247

Hi I have the following problem
I live in a detached house with upstairs and down stair toilets
The toilet up stair flushes fine all the time - all the taps throughout the house run and drain fine.
The down stairs toilet flushes slow - but always flushes first thing in the morning fine for a few flushes
the toilet takes about 5 sec to flush and return to normal water level in the bowl when flushing good - and about 15 to 20 seconds when flushing slowly.
Also flushed good when I put washing liquid in bowl with hot water
I have tried the following.
Bleach down all sink / toilet drains
Plunger on toilet - cleared fine
Plumbers snake - 6mtrs long down both toilets and all sink drains - little hair removed but nothing that would caused the problem and no improvement
cleaned all u traps under sinks
Caustic soda solution down toilet drain

Im also getting some gurgling noises through the upstairs shower drain - dont know if this is relate or separate issues

Have you lifted the AJ covers outside to see if theres any back up of the main drainage itself. If they are backed up the downstairs toilet will always be the first to show signs

Yes, blockage is most likely in the outside drains. Lift the covers and the junctions underneath should be empty. If not, rod the drains to clear the blockage(s). Be extra careful as you've been using corrosive chemicals, wear strong rubber gloves and eye-protection. Do NOT use power-washer to clear drains as there is a high risk of unpleasant and possibly dangerous splash back.

Any reason why this toilet in particular is causing problems? Any baby-wipes, face-wipes being flushed? These are advertised as "flushable" but they are not bio-degradable like toilet-paper.

Baby wipes and toddler wipes are a disaster. The small little fibres on them catch at the joints in the pipe work outside. They quickly cause blockages.
Is this the first time it's happened. Have you an old septic tank that could need emptying aswell

Back