To sell investment property or keep it?

Looked at been a landlord myself , have very similar views to yourself now you'd be mad to get into it and mad not to get out of it. That's just my view I see issues that you see also. I've invested some of my cash in IRES property REIT so I get some of the benefits of increased rent and house prices but none of the hassle. It's another consideration , people have said IRES share price doesn't track house prices I dunno about that but its done very well for me since investing , I can put in small amounts every so often which appeals and it pays a part of an overall portfolio of shares. Might be of interest , I'd see while you can , imagine you don't sell and get a nightmare tenant now you can't evict after been on the fence about selling it would tip you over the edge , go with your gut, this government are going to bring more rules in imo they can't help themselves.

The merits of entering the investment property market now and the merits of remaining in it are two very different things.

You already have a cheap tracker and good tenants in a property where the sinking fund is in decent shape.

The biggest issues for many potential landlords are lack of access to cheap finance, the potential for problematic tenants, and sinking fund-related concerns.

I would argue that you’re in okay shape and that, on balance, you should hang tough.

I would also contend that investments should generally be avoided when euphoria prevails and the shoe shine boy is recommending a particular asset class. Interestingly, we’re at a point in time when investment property is an unloved asset class; “too much hassle”, “regulation”, “potential for bad tenants”. Yet yields are attractive, demand is sky-high, and supply is constrained. Personally, I remain happy to be a landlord; if investors were falling over themselves to enter the rental market and yields were falling, I’d be concerned.

Last edited:
My brother has two apartments in Dublin he has been doing airbnb on for the last three years so i'll hit him up for his expertise too.
Hes been telling me for years we should move to it.
You might also be interested in this new Bill, which proposes to limit short term lettings to 90 days per year without planning permission.
https://beta.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2017/145/

Airbnb already imposes a 90-day limit on hosts in London without planning - I think it would be reasonable to assume that we see a similar restriction being applied in Dublin before too long.

Thanks Sarenco.

I have to laugh or I would cry.
Every piece of news or legislation proposals seems to be an effort to just prevent landlords from running their properties in a way that they choose.

I think 90 days would be plenty and then just leave it empty for the rest of the year though.if it came to that.

we’re at a point in time when investment property is an unloved asset class; “too much hassle”, “regulation”, “potential for bad tenants”. Yet yields are attractive, demand is sky-high, and supply is constrained. Personally, I remain happy to be a landlord; if investors were falling over themselves to enter the rental market and yields were falling, I’d be concerned.

Exactly !

According to evidence presented by Airbnb itself to the Oirechtas Housing Committee, a typical unit of housing in Dublin would need to be rented for well over 120 nights a year to beat the revenue of a long-term rental.

I dont need it to beat it. I just need it to remain in my control.

Understood @PaxmanK but I guess my point is that in the relatively short term you might well find that you have just moved from one set of regulations to another.

There's not much point earning less revenue for more effort/risk.

Here's the full Airbnb submission to the Housing Committee - they are practically begging for the short-term letting sector to be regulated:-

http://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireac...7/2017-06-28_opening-statement-air-bnb_en.pdf

Having got rid of the NPPR, the mortgage, the tenants, the Accountant, taxes, repairs, maintenance, rules and regulations, it's a new life. OK there's a drop in income but I can live with that.

Sounds to me you have already made up your mind so if you like me are not a risk taker, get rid. Set yourself free. You can't buy peace of mind!

Having got rid of the NPPR, the mortgage, the tenants, the Accountant, taxes, repairs, maintenance, rules and regulations, it's a new life. OK there's a drop in income but I can live with that.

Hi Black Sheep

That really captures it much better than the cold financial analysis done by Sarenco or me.

Brendan

Back