To reduce mortgage now or hold onto money

JohnnyBoy

Hi there,
I'm looking for a bit of advice.
I'll be in a position before the end of the year to pay a bit extra off the mortgage.However I'm thinking about taking out a bigger mortgage in acouple of years.
My q is,should I hold onto my money now to fund a deposit in a couple of years,because I'm wondering that the banks will be reducing the size of their loans or should I reduce my current mortgage,thereby persuading the bank that I'm a "safe risk" & that they would give me a bigger mortgage.
Thanks

Assuming you're planning to sell your current house in a couple of years, I'd pay off the mortgage now. In most cases, you'll get a poorer rate of interest on deposit than you're paying on your mortgage.

Size of mortgage is mostly connected with your earnings and other monthly outgoings.

You may find it easier to get a bigger mortgage from a Bank in a couple of years by having savings at that time rather than having paid off some of your mortgage a few years previously, particulalrly if you decide to use a different nortgage provider to your present one. Banks like to see someones ability to save and they like to see someone put cash into a deal that they are putting cash into.

you may be able to get a long term deposit rate as good as your mortgage rate.

Back