To drive across the US

elefantfresh

I'm tinkling with the idea of flying to the east coast, say NY and then hiring a car and driving to relatives in San Diego and flying home from there. Has anyone done anything like this? what sort of timescale would you need in order to do it justice. according to google earth its actual drive time is about 50hrs. would 10 days be enough or is that just too much driving? what are the major pitstops along the way that you would have to see or visit. am i being niave in thinking it would be worth doing in 10 days? any feedback on this sort of a trip would be great.
thanks.

Re: To drive accross the US

Doing it in 10 days would be a waste of time. The only thing you would have got out of it in the end would be to be able to say you had done it, but in terms of seeing things and doing things you would have very little chance. You could see a few things on a few off-days when you aren't driving, but weighing on your mind would be that you have a long drive ahead of you again the next day . . .

Also, the fastest route is to take the Interstates which are motorways which bypass everything, so all you would actually see is a series of off-ramps and some interesting things off in the distance. Taking the US Highways (the older long distance routes) takes you through the interesting places, but obviously you hit traffic lights, towns, and so on and it takes longer.

z

I have drove in the USA a number of times but admittedly not across the whole country. Zag is correct; you would see very little on the interstates and if you plan to do it in 10 days. The country is much larger than people realise sometimes. I drove for hundreds of miles and then looked at a map and realised only a tiny fraction was covered.

That said, the interstates are fantastic for getting from place to place quickly. However don't take on too much because you spend too much time driving, you end up with a sore back and some very cranky passengers.

Bottom line; my advice is fly to New York, hire a car if you want and spend say a week travelling around the north-east i.e. New York, Philadelphia and Washington (really worth it, I did it last year) and then flying onto San Diego staying with your relatives and hiring a car if you wanted to and travel around the area e.g. LA, Tijuana (Mexico), perhaps even a couple of days in Las Vegas. I don't know how much time you have.

That way you would enjoy the trip much more and get a lot more out of it rather than spending endless days on the road.

One other thing of note, one way car rentals cost a fortune particularly in the case of the distance you are talking about. Flying from New York to San Diego would be much cheaper.

The other option would be to take a train across the US (gets over the one-way premium for the car) and make a few well planned stops along the way, maybe hiring a car at the stops. That way you get to see a good bit without having to actually drive the whole distance.

Check the routes tab on http://www.amtrak.com for some options. I didn't check, but I am pretty sure they have good value passes for non-US citizens.

z

A few years ago, a colleague of mine found a hire company that paid you a small allowance to deliver cars from New York to California and vice-versa.
He was given 10 days or so plus gas allowance to arrive on time.
Apparently lots of hire companies find that there is a shortage of cars in these locations with the reverse build up.

Perhaps you can find a halfway house somewhere.

thanks a million for all your responses folks - looks like i underestimated the size of that place! Jasconius, i found a website yesterday with cars like you're speaking off where you need to deliver from A-B within a certain timeframe. good idea if you're flexible but my student days are long gone! maybe if i got redundancy......
thanks again guys.

Elefantfresh, am planning on doing a long drive myself, up the West coast, can I have the website you found??
Beckster

Back