To Activate Or Not Activate The Smart Meter ??

dynamic pricing" where the price varies from hour to hour according to fluctuations in the wholesale electricity price.

I’ve read about that. I think it won’t be “live” but you get the surge plan the day before.

Who wants to sit down at 9pm and plan to get up at 5am tomorrow to put the washing machine on. Let’s make extra sandwiches for lunch because there is a surge at dinner time so we won’t be eating until 9pm tomorrow night.
 
@faketales Yes, you'll get prices the evening before. I think people will start using apps to automatically schedule heavy loads like water heating (immersion), EV charging, etc, to come on when the price is lowest.
 
apps to automatically schedule heavy loads like water heating (immersion), EV charging, etc, to come on when the price is lowest.

I can definitely see it for EV. I presume the tech is there is the app. Could it be linked?

My air to water is obviously programmed for overnight but it doesn’t have an app and isn’t easy to change on a daily basis.

I’m still not sure on the idea of running washing machines etc over night for safety. I tend to program it to come on early before I get up but not middle of the night. There seems to be competing advice between safety and energy/ money saving.

It seems to be getting pretty tech heavy and would need a lot of integration and smart plugs etc. in my experience that stuff can be truck to get right. Have everything talk to each other.

Do businesses already have dynamic pricing like that? Or are the big ones on more defined rates. I could see it work for some businesses who may have someone in the role to manage.
 
@faketales Yes, you'll get prices the evening before. I think people will start using apps to automatically schedule heavy loads like water heating (immersion), EV charging, etc, to come on when the price is lowest.
I already have apps that can mange timing of EV charging, washing machine and ovens. It will likely be possible to seamlessly integrate with dynamic pricing in future but for now just telling the Google assistant what do do would take care of it in seconds.
 
I suppose my facetious comment was based on the faith that people seem to have in 'apps' to do stuff that maybe we should be doing by ourselves. I don't think the apps mentioned above are really the answer to sustainable power consumption.
 
I already have apps that can mange timing of EV charging, washing machine and ovens.
What kind of food are you making that you can time an oven?

I happily run dishwasher and tumble dryer overnight to take advantage of lower tariffs but would draw the line at an oven much given greater fire risk.
 
Got a smart meter installed recently and playing around with it ?
What does 1.8.0 R- stand for , anyone ?
It seems to measure in KvArh
 
A+ or 1.8.0 is the cumulative kWh reading for a 24-hour period (so it's the total of T1, T2 and T3).
If you have day, night and peak rates on the bill, you don't need A+, you need T1 / 1.8.1 - night reading, T2 / 1.8.2 - day reading and T3 / 1.8.3 - peak reading.
A second press of the button will bring you back to your total reading, (1.8.0 will appear in the top left corner) and “A+” will appear in the top right corner.
...
An eight press will show you the reactive energy export (4.8.0 will appear in the top left corner) and “R-” will appear in the top right-hand corner.
 
So today is my renewal day and it looks like over the next couple of days I'll sign up again with Airtricity on their "Fixed rate plan"
Last year the rates were 22.54 Day, 14.62 Night 28.48 Peak and standing charge €221.08
Which for some reason is cheaper then what I indicated what the rates were in post #62???
This year their offering 26.07 Day, 16.75 Night, 29.20 peak and the standing charge is €240.97

My total bill for last year was €1090 which is few hundred Euro down on the previous few years and up a couple of hundred on pre '21 years
Again the success of "Fixing" will depend on what happens with the rates over the coming year, last year to my surprise the rates went up,
which worked out for me and I'm thinking the same will happen over the next year once the rates don't fall by 10% or more
 
I finally gave in and activated my smart meter with yuno energy on a 24 hour rate. No matter how many times I crunched the numbers they worked out the cheapest. Just switched my gas to sse airtricty from Bord Gais Energy although after completion they are wrongly telling me with a message on screen 'it was my electricity' I switched. I gave my GPRN, reading and gas band B, IBAN etc.
 
Must have been a lack of oxygen to my two brain cells yesterday, the difference these are Ex Vat
It's always confusing when some sources quote tariff prices including VAT and some quote them excluding VAT and different providers default to one or the other. I don't understand why it isn't like other consumer prices and required to be quoted inclusive of VAT to non business users all of the time.
 
I don't understand why it isn't like other consumer prices and required to be quoted inclusive of VAT to non business users all of the time.
In fairness to Airtricity this was my mistake, I just took the rates from my bill and forgot about the vat element
But I do agree, when businesses are dealing with an individual all prices should be vat inclusive so as to avoid confusion
 
Update
This will be my last post about my smart meter and whether it has saved me or cost me by activating it
As I feel I've proven to myself, at least, that they are cheaper then the standard meter

In post #113 I indicated that I was going to renew with Airtricity for a second year on their "fixed rate" plan like I did last year
But as it would happen like it did last year the renewal process was less then satisfactory so I've just signed up with Electric Ireland

On the 17th of October I received an email informing me that my contract was coming to and end on the 27th of November
But there was no renewal offer attached with that email

I started looking online on the 27th and discovered Airtricity were still offering the fixed rate but I could not renew online, I had to call them
I rang on Friday morning and after a half an hour of waiting I requested a call back
And call me back they did, at quarter past five to inform me someone would call me on Monday about renewing

Monday came and went without a call so this morning I rang and after nearly 10 mins of option choosing I finally got to talk to someone
And after five minutes I was signing up and am now with Electric Ireland as a new customer
Apparently all the offers on Airtricity's website are only for "New customers", existing customers are charged higher rates

I don't know about the rest of you guys but as an existing customer of any service I expect to be treated better then a new customer
So it seems these companies although they talk about customer loyalty do not know what that word means and I just going to have to switch supplier every year and treat these companies with the same disdain that I apply to other lowlifes that I have to deal with
 
Useful table for sure! Thanks!!
I don;t see any fixed price plan on the airtricity website... was this only available over the phone? Does anyone else offer fixed price? Tks for any help.
 
Back
Top