Title Deeds from Ulster Bank - Waiting over 2 months

Landscape

I'm in the middle of switching my mortgage from Ulster Bank to Avant. My solicitor requested the title deeds from Ulster Bank at the end of April and has followed up with phonecalls since. My solicitor is ringing Ulster Bank again today. But so far still no sign of the title deeds.

My question is - what else can I do to speed up the process of acquiring the title deeds ?
(All other paperwork is in order).

I want to draw down by 15th July to get the 7 year fixed rate of 1.95%.

Write to Ulster Bank mortgages section saying that the delay is causing you loss and that you will hold the bank responsible for such loss unless the deeds are released immediately.

Write to Ulster Bank mortgages section saying that the delay is causing you loss and that you will hold the bank responsible for such loss unless the deeds are released immediately.
Thanks Johnno75.

I have just sent a mail to the below email address saying similar. Not sure it is the correct email address , but it is the only one I could find.

[email protected]

If you are in Dublin, take a day off and call into the Mortgage Centre in Leopardstown. There is nothing like an Customer in reception wanting to speak the Manager to get action. Remain civil, but tell everyone you see why you are there. They will soon want you sorted and gone.

All great suggestions. Thankyou.
I followed up with my local mortgage manager/contact from the local branch this morning and she also put a call through to the 'Securities team'.

My solicitor has just informed me that they have been advised the deeds will be issued by UB this evening and solicitor expects to have receipt of them by tomorrow .

Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

title deeds
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but are you sure there are actual property deeds involved?

The reason I ask is that I'm also in the process of redeeming a mortgage, and I know the property is registered with the Land Registry, and my understanding is that the two systems are mutually exclusive, i.e. either a property is registered with the Land Registry OR there are actual physical property deeds.

In any case, how did you get on with UB?

Hi PinkLloyd,
After the above escalations (to my local UB mortgage manager & emailing Ulster Bank direct), the title deeds were issued very quickly(within 2 days) to my solicitor. I should have escalated it sooner ! But didn't really realise I could. Solicitor had told me that the solicitor looked after that. I don't know how long I would've been waiting if I didn't intervene.

I haven't actually laid eyes on 'the title deeds' myself. I guess my solicitor will send them on to Avant now (if they haven't already).

I don't have any experience with the land registry, so no help to you there I'm afraid.

Hi Landscape, good work from you! I have the same issue currently. You said you emailed them - is that the email address you mentioned above?

Hi, yes that is the email address.
I think what really helped though was ringing my local contact in my local branch. They were very responsive and followed up with Ulster Bank head office for me. I had the deeds within 2 days of that. Good Luck !

In my case, a good old snail-mail letter to the relevant section worked best (you'll find the address on your correspondence with them).

In my experience, although I've found UB's customer service generally very good, towards the end things were getting promised but nothing was getting action; presumably this is due to the huge numbers of calls they must be getting right now.

Thanks to you both. I phoned UB mortgage service who were very helpful and shared the name of the solicitor and contact details along with saying the deeds are with their solicitor currently. Hopefully not long more.

Having the same issue with PTSB (we were originally ulster bank but deeds transferred to PTSB in November). I will go into the branch tomorrow, and try find an email contact for them. Thanks for the above info - really helpful. We are trying to get everything sorted for our new mortgage before February 21st before BOI rates go up, so if deeds delayed any longer we wont meet the deadline!

This is the update from our solicitor from 16th Jan, still no deeds 10 days later:
"They picked up the ATR payment on dec 19th and requested the deeds from storage on 29th December last; they are in a queue for checking and release since 11 Jan last; they cannot give a time frame for deeds to be sent out but “it shouldn’t be too long more” according to customer service agent."

Elderflower, have you (or your solicitor) sent a Registered Letter with Recorded Delivery to PTSB advising them that the deeds are urgently required in order to confirm your new mortgage in advance of the rate change on 21st Feb and in the event that PTSB fail to deliver the Deeds in good time you will be holding them responsible for the consequences including the additional interest payments you will incur in the future as a result of the interest rate increase.

Back