Key Post Tips to save money on fuel costs in existing homes.

glic83

Frequent Poster
well i would have thought that at over 90,000 btu the boiler would be flat out the whole time, i know of a few people in 3 bed semi-dethached house of aroun 1200 sq ft with the same size boilers,dont know if the rads themselves are from heatmerchants but i told the guy in heat merchants that the were the "barrel" type rads and he said that that was grand and to work out the btu from the chart and if memory serves me correct then he said to add about 15,000 btu onto of the final figure of the rads for the water cylinder and stuff

DavyJones

Frequent Poster
A bigger burner will consume more fuel. Not saying you don't need one. Do you feel cold in your home? The key is setting burner pressure and nossle size correctly to give accurate heat output.

You can calculate this by a few methods,

Mears calculator, thats what I use.

You can roughly calculate using this equation (in FT) L x B x H x 5 to give BTu requirement of space/room.

Or this is fairly accurate and easy to follow http://www.radcalcs.com/

KW to BTU / 3414.

If you need a hand I can assist.

glic83

Frequent Poster
i know it would burn more fuel but at the moment im ****ing through oil went through 500l in 6 weeks and that was with the only only on for a few hours a day in the evening,at least with the bigger boiler it might kick out for a longer period (i was told it should kick out for around 15 mins then kick in again when required but at the mo its only 3 mins) the house doesnt seem like the warmest house in the world and its not even that old bad build i personally think

DavyJones

Frequent Poster
Thats a problem. Do your heat calculations, it could be that the burner is undersized (maybe) but more likely has never been commissioned or serviced(set) properly.

What is your area? try to get an OFTEC approved serviceperson to look at it. Check out their website for installers. Another poster here DGOBS would know good people if your in the middle to top half of the country.

P

Pat H

Hi Davy Jones,

Re the fire front -
I've kept an eye on Buy & Sell since last year to try and find the fire front, but no luck there. There was one on Jumbletown last year with over twenty people looking for it! Do you know might it be called something different? I've had no luck searching sites in the UK either, and have rung most of the Irish fireplace/boiler suppliers to no avail.

kemosabe

Pat H,
I requested a stove brochure from mulberry recently & when they sent it out to me they included a one page spec on what I think is a fire front. They are based in tipperary.
Hope that helps.Might be worth ringing them.

DavyJones

Frequent Poster
Hi Davy Jones,

Re the fire front -
I've kept an eye on Buy & Sell since last year to try and find the fire front, but no luck there. There was one on Jumbletown last year with over twenty people looking for it! Do you know might it be called something different? I've had no luck searching sites in the UK either, and have rung most of the Irish fireplace/boiler suppliers to no avail.
Hi Pat,

I know very little about them, can you refer me to any extra information. With this i can ask around.

kemosabe

Sorry Pat , I meant to say Mulberry refer to it as an insert stove but I think its the same thing.