Tips on using recruitment agencies. What every Job Seeker needs to know

Job Seekers should also be aware that companies are cutting back on costs, in particular recruitment agents.

We would still look at CVs coming in even though we are not advertising - especially if they have good experience and are the right canditate. But as we are trying to cut back on costs, then a CV coming in directly would get a much more favourable viewing.

Very true Don. In fact this has always been the case to a greater or lesser extent depending on the company and how difficult is is for them to find the right personnel.

Advertorial? The article does not mention the company I work for once. Everyone's is a cynic!

Jobsguru, This morning I deleted a link to a spreadsheet on your website which had the name of the agency and a contact telephone number. It appears to be put back in so I've taken it out again...
GeneralZod

Hi.

I'm 50....redundant 13 months...........agencies ?? forget it...
AGEISM !!!!!!
well and truly enshrined in most of the agencies here in Limerick !!!!

Blood about to boil....wont say anymore...

Hi.

I'm 50....redundant 13 months...........agencies ?? forget it...
AGEISM !!!!!!
well and truly enshrined in most of the agencies here in Limerick !!!!

Blood about to boil....wont say anymore...

A good recruiter will recognise your experience. There are other factors too though that often come with age. The first one to spring to mind is salary. I don't know your situation but as a general rule people earn more as they gain experience and climb the ladder. This happens over time. Thus people who are older are likely to be more expensive due to their greater experience. Most companies that are hiring at the moment will look for the same things they usually do.... somebody who is competent at the least possible cost. As unemployment grows there is more choice. Companies are finding that they can get high quality employees with some experience at much less cost than more experienced candidates. Key roles will always need a greater degree of experience, but for many jobs a year or two's experience is ample.

Check your previous salary against what is being offered in roles that you think the agencies should put you forward for. Are you pricing yourself out of the market? Even if you are willing to take a cut, companies are slow to take on somebody at below what they earned before. The reason for this is that anybody paid less than before will feel undervalued and is more likely to underperform as a result.

Recruitment consultants are part of the selection process. They have to deliver the closest possible matches to what their clients have requested. No client will ever specify an age range, but they will specify a salary range and an experience range. I suggest that you talk to the recruitement consultants you are dealing with again. Find out what is happening in the market. Find out why you are not being called for interviews. Ask their advice on how to make yourself more competitive. Ask what sort of candidate has been going forward for jobs you are interested in. Why were they selected over you? Get them to work with you. Keep your lines of communication open. Do not let them forget you. Be a pain in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language if needs be and keep your own eyes open for new jobs too.

Job Seekers should also be aware that companies are cutting back on costs, in particular recruitment agents.

We would still look at CVs coming in even though we are not advertising - especially if they have good experience and are the right canditate. But as we are trying to cut back on costs, then a CV coming in directly would get a much more favourable viewing.

Ditto where I am too.

Recently there was a job going on one of our floors and HR actually contacted the existing staff in different departments to see if anybody knew anybody looking, friends family, etc for a job, as well as going through CV's on file, as they dont want to pay agencies any more.

That said, to Jobsguru, I do find your post v. interesting, though did not really life the lid(maybe was expecting juicy gossip!)

Even if you don't use a recruiter you'd better ask somebody to check your e-mail applications and CV (threw).

Re: New website for the unemployed: www.halfaloaf.ie

Thanks Brendan, more kicking for the recruitment industry, but it's healthy to vent!
Definite perception/reality disconnect going on in that world.
Will watch with interest

ARdiff
it all sounds pretty accurate to me about recruiters
perhaps you might tell your side of the story

ARdiff
it all sounds pretty accurate to me about recruiters
perhaps you might tell your side of the story

MTK,
There's a whackload of honest decent recruiters plugging away in the most difficult market in their careers. Getting a fillable job to fill is harder than ever, which is where most of their attention has to go to be economically viable.

However, there are (and always have been) large numbers of utter shams, CV harvesting, sending CVs without permission from either side, upstaging interviews and lots of other "tricks" that are unethical, but can create revenue all the same.

What is happening is the general public are even more unhappy with the entire industry, which is somewhat unfair on your average joe recruiter, who's playing by the rules.
I believe that the disconnect is that candidates don't completely understand the recruiter's entire role, and the recruiters don't entirely appreciate the jobseeker's pov.

This is what needs to be addressed. If a candidate applies to a role that's not suitable for them, they should expect a response explaining why, but a PFO I guess would be better than silence. Candidates need to understand they won't get the love from the recruiters, because it's an employer's market. They need to understand, whether they like it or not, they are a commodity, albeit a human resource.
The recruiters need to make this very plain to their prospective candidates, take down dummy jobs or duplications, give a consistent message to their applicants and be straight with people.
From where I sit, it's a massive opportunity to build a brand that means something. If a candidate is happy with a recruiter in this economic weather, won't they love them forever?

Who would be annoyed with a phone call to a candidate saying, "look, I got your CV, but the client is being very picky, they want absolutely everything. I know you can appreciate it's tough for everyone out there, but of course I'll be in touch if a role comes up that you can fill, good for me, you and the client, however I can't guarantee I'll give you a call every week!?
Candidates are not dense but deserve more respect than they generally get, and the recruiter that does this now, will be a huge winner in two years.

The reason recruiters are getting a massive kicking is that they're chasing the jobs harder and harder and neglecting the candidates, more and more of whom require their services.

Hope that makes sense :)

This post is extremely important if you are looking for a job.

Recruitment agencies can and should be a valuable asset to a job seeker in finding his/her next job. Make sure you know your rights and how to use them successfully!

Why oh why would you use a recruitment agency (especially in this day and age)? Having the unfortunate experience, of dealing with them, having them blatantly lie to your face about job openings, like the previous poster, makes my blood boil. One good thing about this recession is that these parasitic companies should fail!
Sorry about the rant, i understand that there are probably very nice people in very reputable companies out there, but I've never dealt with them.

Back