Tips on Buying Blinds

idontknow

Hi

We are moving house (buying new this time) and don't even know where to start about blinds.

Would like roller blinds (with string on side) but otherwise not sure. Can you normally clean blinds?

Any tips / suggestions? Any recommendations on where to buy? How much would you think would cover a whole house? (3 bed)

I was buying blinds last week. Got two quotes, first quote worked out at €850 for 10 roller blinds. Quality looked good, but I thought that was expensive. My neighbour was going to give me the details of her blind fitter, but I thought her blinds looked very cheap looking.

I dug out the contact details I had for the guy who fitted the blinds in my last house(wasn't sure he was still in business) and gave him a call. Quoted €580 for the 10 blinds, so I told him to go ahead and get them made up for me.

I am living in Kildare (the blind company are in Tallaght if you want contact details)

Just be careful, the quality and prices vary considerably.

I'm not sure about cost of blinds for a whole house but I've heard from a number of people that Crumlin blinds are good quality for (relatively) low prices.

where r u based? I moved to Cork recently I got my blinds done with Blackwater Blinds, Youghal. Thought they were very efficient and good prices. It was also recommended to pick your own fabric for roller blinds. They're different that your usual blinds cause you can have different fabric for each room if you like and they all look the same from outside! I got different blinds done too i.e sitting room Roman Blinds with my fabric and bedrooms went a little crazy with vibrant colour blinds with plain curtains. Surprised myself but not for everyone. Just an idea.

I recently used Crumlin Blinds and while I was happy enough with the quality and price of the blinds I have had nothing but trouble with their customer service.

When I booked an appointment for their rep to call out to give me a quote he didn't turn up. I rang the next day and they rescheduled. Just when I was about to give up on the second appointment he turned up, spent 10 minutes measuring up and gave me a quote. As I thought the quality of their blinds were better than the others who quoted and they were slightly cheaper I agree to buy from them.

The fitter always turned up when he said he would but the rep is unbelievable. He messed up on some of the lengths of the blinds (not long enough) and he had to replace them. One of my windows was cracked and 2 of the blackout blinds were ripped. The rep said he would replace the blinds at the same time as the window was fixed. The window eventually got fixed but I still had to chase the rep for the blinds. He has stood me up at least 1 in every 3 appointments and even then he got things wrong. When the fitter finally came to fit the replacements he only had half the required amount. He was going mad as he said he is sick of doing the rep's call backs. He said he would not be back with the remaining blinds, the rep could do it himself. I am still waiting on 1 replacement blind.

I put the initial mistakes down to the Christmas rush as I know they were run off their feet but their customer service has not improved.

In fairness they have always accepted problems and agreed to fix them. Their main problem seems to be the rep. He is the only rep they have on the northside so if you live on the northside be warned.

I used Westside Blinds (based in Lucan) about 3 years ago - 800 euro for the whole house. Installed in an hour two days after order. Great.

South East blind shop
€600 for 4 good quality roller blinds with blackout.
€1600 for 4 top quality Roman blinds with blackout.

Do give serious consideration to the blackout option in bedrooms. They do turn day into night which we have found to be more of an advantage than disadvantage.

Back