Key Post Tips for vetting tenants

Re: Key Post: tips for vetting tenants

Marg- I agree but it takes one rotter to spoil the business. I too have been lucky in the main, but I suggest as well as using the references, next of kin, these must be followed up for verifcation / confirmation.

I am considering letting a house to a group of Polish people. They are all casual workers, so the reference from an employer is not going to be an option. I don't even know if they have bank accounts- they might be sending it all home via Western Union, but I guess they have to have some sort of relationship with a bank.

I presume I'll be able to get a reference from a landlord as I know that they are currently renting another place near me. Otherwise the usual Irish protections of knowing who they are and where they come from do not apply, although one of them has done some work for me and is fairly well established in the area over the past year or so.

I would be grateful for any advice on what sort of documentary proof I could usefully ask them for, to minimise what is probably a bit of a risk.

As I read back over this I realise that I sound mad to be considering renting to people about whom I know nothing, but I do have a good feeling about them- they seem to be solid hardworking people. (Didn't someone say to rely on your instinct?!)

Also, since they are not as tied to the area as people in steady employment would be, should/could I ask them for a bigger deposit?

The important thing to note about all the Caution concerning Foreign tenants is a little History lesson. I like many thousands of Irish in the 80s, (and many more in earlier years), were subjected to the massive racial abuse when trying to source accommodation in London. We all knew how hard it was and in the main we main sure that accommodation didn't get wrecked -- we payed the rent and expenses and built up a reputation to secure a roof over our heads. The migrants are now caught in a similar guise, where we are trying to treat them in the same manner as the Paddys were treated. Sure I have had Polish tenants and sure they were great. Rent paid on time and any handy work which needed to be done was a lot cheaper than having locals do it. Ask for a bigger deposit and I would say you will get it -- but try treating them like humans - in the same manner as you would want to be treated yourself. Most of the bad stories I have heard recently are about Irish tenants. History has a knack of repeating itself - except many of us forget our past.

mercman- please spare me the lecture and the "little lesson". I asked specific questions about how to deal with lack of employer's reference and possible lack of bank history. They were legitimate questions, which have nothing at all to do with forgetting anyone's history. I resent your accusation that I am trying to treat anyone "the way Paddys were treated". This is untrue and smacks of sactimony.

Keep it civil and stick to asking and answering questions please folks.

Thanks

AAM Moderator

Goldenmean - Sorry that you interpreted my thread in that manner. I was not accusing you of anything. However there was the original OP i was answering and there are others who read the threads as well.

Back