Tips for selling a car privately. HELP!

Hillsalt

I am going to sell a car privately for the first time. Every car that I have ever bought has been from a garage and I have always traded in.
Now, i am going to sell the car privately. I am going to advertise in a local newspaper and on carzone website. I have thoroughly cleaned the car and have removed all personal stuff and it is shiny after a good polish.

Any tips?

What % above the by bottom line should I ask for?

Also, should I arrange to meet buyer at my home or at a neutral location?

When it comes to payment, what should I expect? Cash? Draft? I obviously won't accept a personal cheque.

What are common pitfalls/scams?

Thans in advance.

Some of these key posts should help. This one in particular.

Make sure they have their own insurance in place to test drive the car.

Must say that Mathpac's post is excellent. It would be hard to go wrong with that.

Try Donedeal, it has become very popular for selling everything including cars ( no connection!).

If the price is right, ull sell no problem. Also make sure you get a good discount from the garage as paying in full cash. Adverts.ie another good one.

I would add again -

Do not let someone test drive your car (even around the car park) alone
Factory reset the Sat Nav if it's an integrated one

Another tip for anyone with a video account on the M50, make sure you de-register the car so you don't end up continuing to pay!

Must say that Mathpac's post is excellent. It would be hard to go wrong with that.
Thanks, I hope it helps to save someone a few heartaches and heartbreak.
Another tip for anyone with a video account on the M50, make sure you de-register the car so you don't end up continuing to pay!
Sound, excellent point, missed in the original guide. Do you want to slot it in towards the end with the insurance disc removal tip? I seem to have lost editing ability / privileges on that key-post, maybe since the site got broken there a while ago.

Sound, excellent point, missed in the original guide. Do you want to slot it in towards the end with the insurance disc removal tip? I seem to have lost editing ability / privileges on that key-post, maybe since the site got broken there a while ago.

Done. Just let me know if there are any other changes you want made. The ability to edit old posts is now restricted as it was being abused by some posters who once they got an answer to their question, went in a deleted all their posts making whole threads meaningless.
Leo

Back