Tips for efficient use of gas heating

CreNaCille

Just moved into a new house with gas fired central heating :).

I've never used gas heating before - always either had electric storage heaters or oil fired central heating.

Just wondering if AAM readers have any tips to use the gas efficiently.

There are 2 thermostats in the house, one in the living room and one in an upstairs bedroom.

What's an optimum setting for the room thermostats? 17, 18, higher....

How does the gas boiler themostat setting (40 min - 80 max) interact with the individual room thermostats?

Should I close (completely or partially) the radiators in rooms not used frequently?

What about the thermostat on the hot water cylinder? Is that only used when we turn on the electrical immersion?

Any help appreciated :).

Get thermostatically controlled valves fitted to each radiator and simply turn down the ones in rooms that are not used to the minimum.
I would turn down the stat in the bedroom to no more than 15 (assuming that you don't want to go to the expense of the valves for the rads. The one in the living room could be turned down to 18 which should be comfortable if you have eliminated draughts.

Really the simplest solution would be to have the rad valves fitted so that you can set the temperature in each room individually. I have no idea how much they would cost over there (I live in England) but I am sure that the cost would be recovered very quickly.
I don't know about the stat in the hot water cylinder as we have a combi boiler which only heats the water as we need it; i.e. we have no how water cylinder.

I am sure that many poster will be able to provide more help.

Good luck in your new house.
BillK

Thanks Billk.

Is it easy to fit thermostatically controlled valves on existing rads which don't have them?

The plumber took about 10 minutes for each when he fitted ours.
NB the water needs tobe drained down before starting.

Back