Key Post Tips for Driving in this weather from AA

ney001

Driving In Icy Conditions - What Should I Do?

Firstly, it should be said that if you know there's likely to be ice on the roads and your journey isn't important, stay at home. Choosing to drive on an icy road means that you're choosing to take a ton or so of self propelled metal onto the public highway with no sure way of stopping or controlling it. It's not always possible to avoid driving in icy conditions but if you can, you should.

But if your journey is vital or you come upon ice during a trip, here are some tips on dealing with driving on ice.

Give yourself time
Whether you were expecting ice or not, you must allow 10 minutes to get your windscreen clear. Put your car’s heater on as well as the heated rear window. Have a can of de-icer in the car or use warm – not boiling – water to clear the windows. And make sure they’re clear - don’t try to drive with just a small clearing in your windscreen! Accept that with adverse weather conditions such as ice, you will be delayed in getting to your destination.
Stay calm
Making no sudden movements - with either brakes, gears, steering or revs – while maintaining a constant (and reduced) speed is the safest way to drive in icy conditions. Your car's weight will do a lot to keep you on the straight and narrow; it's often how we deal with braking and steering that causes accidents. Slow, careful manoeuvres that slow down - not stop - the wheels are the best way to bring your car to a halt on a slippery road. Panicking by simply braking will usually send your car sideways.
Stay in a high gear
It may not sound great and it goes against our instincts as drivers but staying in a high gear means you're putting less torque on the ground. Torque is pulling power in layman's terms and you only have to watch a tug o' war on a muddy field to see what happens when you mix torque with a slippery surface. Less torque on the ground means the wheels are less likely to spin and keeps you in control.
Take it easy
Keeping your speed to a minimum is always best on ice, both to maximise friction and to anticipate the unexpected. With practically no friction between an icy surface and your tyres, brakes are often useless and engine braking - changing down your gears to lose momentum - is the best way to slow down if you come upon ice at speed. Braking at the first hint of ice will cause you to skid and the car may start to turn.
Watch out for skidding
The impulse to brake can be difficult to control so if you to hit the middle pedal, again - don't panic. Turn into the skid to counter-act it and change down gears, using engine braking to slow down. Skidding means you’ve lost traction and without traction, your car is powerless.
Watch the temperature
Most cars have a temperature gauge so keep an eye on it on winter months. While ice forms at 0 degrees, a reading of 2-3 degrees can also mean ice is possible due to the margin of error on these gauges; for this reason, many gauges display a frost symbol at 2 degrees. If the temperature gets this cold, take care - while the familiar sheen of ice is easy to spot, black ice can often resemble a wet road until it's too late. So if it's cold enough for ice, expect ice.

SKIDDING

Decrease your speed and leave yourself plenty of room to stop. You should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you.
Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake.
Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other motorists.
Keep your lights and windshield clean.
Use low gears to keep traction, especially on hills.
Don't use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
Be especially careful on bridges, overpasses and infrequently traveled roads, which will freeze first. Even at temperatures above freezing, if the conditions are wet, you might encounter ice in shady areas or on exposed roadways like bridges.
Don't pass snow plows and sanding trucks. The drivers have limited visibility, and you're likely to find the road in front of them worse than the road behind.
Don't assume your vehicle can handle all conditions. Even four-wheel and front-wheel drive vehicles can encounter trouble on winter roads.

If your rear wheels skid...

Take your foot off the accelerator.
Steer in the direction you want the front wheels to go. If your rear wheels are sliding left, steer left. If they're sliding right, steer right.
If your rear wheels start sliding the other way as you recover, ease the steering wheel toward that side. You might have to steer left and right a few times to get your vehicle completely under control.
If you have standard brakes, pump them gently.
If you have anti-lock brakes (ABS), do not pump the brakes. Apply steady pressure to the brakes. You will feel the brakes pulse — this is normal.

If your front wheels skid...

Take your foot off the accelerator and shift to neutral, but don't try to steer immediately.
As the wheels skid sideways, they will slow the vehicle and traction will return. As it does, steer in the direction you want to go. Then put the transmission in "drive" or release the clutch, and accelerate gently.

great tips, thanx!
i would only advise to avoid the hot/warm water at all - this might be OK for temperatures just below zero but in this cold the result can be fatal for your windscreen - use de-icer and scratch the rest of the ice. i once witnessed how a guy was left with a completely cracked windscreen after he tried defrosting it with hot water.
i actually haven't seen this practice anywhere in Europe before..

Should also add, people should keep an extra blanket/coat, hat and gloves in their cars as well as a torch and hi-vis item. I spotted quite a few people in the past few days walking alongside the road having dumped their cars, wearing black coats, not lights at all!.

Also, recommend keeping a small bag of sand or even cat litter in the car just in case you get badly stuck somewhere! (I found recently that the Lidl brand of dishwasher salt is great - big chunky rocks of salt - works well on our driveway! )

That set of tips sounds suspiciously like it's been copied from the AAA - it assumes RWD, automatic, "windshield", "snow-plow", etc. Is AA Ireland going Yankee? Is Conor Faughnan from Dallas?

Another useful tip I heard on the radio the other day.

If your car has snow on the roof, clear it off as best you can before starting out on your journey. If you don't, and have to stop suddenly (which I know you shouldn't do in this weather anyway!), the snow can slide down onto your windscreen and might obscure your vision at a critical time.

+1 on the dishwasher salt by the way!

I've had to reverse down a hill due to the ice recently to get more speed to go up it so make sure if tackling an icy hill that you have enough speed.

If setting out on a journey notify others when you are leaving, what route you are taking and estimated time of arrival. Just in case the mobile phone doesn't work etc.

There was a guy on TV3 from the institute of advanced motoring who seemed convinced the majority of us have traction conrol and sat navs!

Whatever about having it I haven't a clue what traction control is.

Its great, I was in a car with it the other day, being dropped off to collect my car. The car with traction control drove along compacted ice in an estate like it was a dry summers day, then I got into my own banger and skidded my way back out of the estate :)

traction control automatically cuts the power to the drive wheels when it detects a spin. Like you coming off the go pedal only it does it for you.

Most cars don't have it.

I can't imagine driving without ABS anymore.

Thank god most people seem to have stayed at home left the roads clearer fo get around. Unfortunately some jobs need to be done so have to get around.

Its great, I was in a car with it the other day, being dropped off to collect my car. The car with traction control drove along compacted ice in an estate like it was a dry summers day, then I got into my own banger and skidded my way back out of the estate :)

Be honest, didn't you have more fun in the car without traction control :p

Couple of pointers for driving on icy roads.
Icy meaning compacted snow and frozen over gritted snow.
On black ice there is usually no traction at all so don't try anything.

Forget all your usual times between junctions and don't try "getting" lights.
Building up excessive speed to get lights is stupid in good conditions and lethal on ice.
How are will yuo lose all the speed you've build up - you probably won't make the corner [see below]
SImilarly resist the urge to over take in your FWD Subaru or Toyota - you do not know road conditions ahead.

You CAN lose speed on ice with some degree of control and you CAN build up speed on ice, very very gently.
Automatics - even RWD autos - can take off very gently providing you use the Winter settings and not Sport for example.
This usually means you're starting off with a gentle application of power in the second gear ratio - a useful gear in non autos.
Autos also usually keep power on while on the brake - don't accelerate, just slowly and gently relsease the brake, then gently accelerate.
Some autos have a long throttle action which allows a gentle feed in but larger engines generate huge torque, causing wheelspin very easily.

Unlike in the Top Gear programmes, turn all the assisted stuff ON and if you have options, power down the engine.
I remember years ago brave souls on bikes would sometimes take to the roads attracting amazed looks as they gained traction.
Trials bikes are set up for it to a degree, but small highly tune sports bikes worked also - low slung and generating amost no power at low revs.

The thing to remember in a car, particularly a large car or sport saloon, is to watch your speed in corners on the ice.
Test your brakes regularly - if nothing else it keeps the person behind alert - but I use it to assess the slippiness of the road.
The slippier it is the slower you take corners, even those with superelevation.
Superelevation is where the road is angled up to allow a dregree ot lean-in to the corner almost like a motorcycle.
Under normal corcumstances it allows higher cornering speeds which on icy roads tends to help prevent you sliding off the road.
This only applies if your speed is below the point where the cornering vectors sideways component is below the speed at which your car loses traction.
Go too fast into an icy corner and no amount of four wheel drive, electronic brake distribution or traction control will save the situation.
4x4 coming around the corner last week just outside my house took it too fast on packed snow, not even ice and went sideways.
Missed a parked car by a fot or so, and for no reason at all except too much speed in the corner.
This is the deception with FWD or 4WD cars - easy to build up speed, hard to corner or stop.

Brake early for junctions and lights.
I've fround in the recent cold spell that you could read 50kph on the straights easily and with reasonable control and no sliding in maing road bends, but coming to a stop was more difficult.
Few of us brake early for lights or junctions, preferring to keep our speed up until quite late under normal driving conditions, while not necessarily screeching to a halt.
This is exactly the wrong thing to do in icy conditions, because even carrying 15kph to withing 30 M of the lights can result in a slide as you try to shed the last of your speed.
Try to time it so you can keep moving and reach the lights as it changes so avoid coming to a complete stop and having to start again on ice, or worse, slip back on a hill into the car behind.

Finally don't be a hero - if you see someone in difficulty phone it in - that's what the emergency services are for and we've seen even these come to griedover the past two weeks.
I drove to Meath yesterday and taking a long slow run up an icy hill I see the driver in the outside lane - where I'm driving - stop to converse with a spinning driver on the inside lane risking everyone on both lanes stopping and sliding back down the hill in a heap.
Luckily he was alert enough to respond to several following and slowing cars flashign at him and he moved into the side, but the stupidity and risk he took for no appreciable gain was mind-boggling.

Its s different world on ice.

-7.5 in Meath yesterday at 10.30am

HTH

:)

ONQ.

Slightly off topic.

I've noticed quite a few cars running the lights at junctions over the last couple of days. I've also noticed people driving while using mobile phones. Amazing.

In these weather conditions, this should be an automatic dangerous driving charge.

Another useful tip I heard on the radio the other day.

If your car has snow on the roof, clear it off as best you can before starting out on your journey. If you don't, and have to stop suddenly (which I know you shouldn't do in this weather anyway!), the snow can slide down onto your windscreen and might obscure your vision at a critical time.

+1 on the dishwasher salt by the way!

The snow is on my roof since Tuesday of last week. Solid with ice, going nowhere despite using the car twice a day for at least an hour each day since. Can't shift it at all!

Another dishwasher salt fan, great to have a bag in the car!

try to avoid hitting brakes and use the power of the engine to break ...
i tried my traction control on wednesday /unwillingly :D/ when i was driving out of my estate and had to break on full ice because there were cars coming from both directions and the exit from our estate is very steep - it worked great and i was happy about having it

I'm really not loving this weather at all (like the vast majority of us AAM'ers). I managed to snag the last 2 bags of dishwasher salt in the local Tesco today & want to try to get a shovel tomorrow so I can work at clearing our path & drive - our old one "vanished" when we had the garden redone last year...

Utterly dreading the commute to work on Monday - the fine upstanding receivers I am working for are getting rid of me next Friday so the temptation to give them the middle finger is getting more and more enticing :) The road to the office is up a steep hill and not gritted at the best of times. Would almost prefer they binned me today so I could stay home safe & walk to sign on!

Back