Tips and tricks for lifting old carpet on hall, stairs and landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

newseeker1

Need to pull up carpet on hall, stairs and landing in advance of getting new one fitted
Anyone got any tips and tricks for lifting up old carpet to minimise mess, risk of damaging skirting boards and stairs etc and tools would need for this job

Thanks

I'd say it depends on how it was put down (tacks, glue, gripper-rod), and what you intend to replace it with (ie, how good a finish do you need to preserve after the old carpet is up, or does it matter, say, if a new carpet is going down). Therefore, specify what you intend to put in its place, then see what is holding the old one down, then "attack" accordingly!

As you're replacing it with a new carpet, you don't need to be overly particular. A [broken link removed] would be ideal. Work your way up slowly, lifting each tack and cutting off excess carpet as as to keep it out of your way.
Leo

I took up all the carpets in my house and expected to be at it for most of the day but in the end it only took about an hour, it was much easier than I expected, I didn't even need any tools as a sharp tugging technique was enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back