Tipping executors

Tisme1004

Asking here if it is customary to ‘tip’ executors. I know that expenses are paid to executors but my question is, if there would normally be a gratuity paid also and, if so, how much.

There are 2 executors involved.

Dinner would suit with one but the second has cleared anything of value from the house already. Eating would be difficult!

Thanks Brendan though. Gifts would be easier. Response appreciated.

I think it depends on whether they are also beneficiaries or not. If they are, l would say discharging their reasonable expenses and, perhaps, a nominal gift would be appropriate. If not a beneficiary, then l think a more substantial gratuity would be appropriate, e.g. €1,000 or so, as a token for their time.

I think it depends on whether they are also beneficiaries or not. If they are, l would say discharging their reasonable expenses and, perhaps, a nominal gift would be appropriate. If not a beneficiary, then l think a more substantial gratuity would be appropriate, e.g. €1,000 or so, as a token for their time.
I would certainly expect that expenses would be paid as a matter of right not on the whim of beneficiaries.
Any beneficiary worth their salt would also throw a decent contribution to the executors

By all means give something to someone who has helped you, your choice. However, we have become very Americanised over the past while with all this tipping nonsense. People do a job, they get paid, so why give anybody anything on top of it. Restaurants and the like seem to think that it's now compulsory.What next? Supermarket workers, petrol station store assistants, cinema ushers, etc, etc. Where does it stop?

"People do a job, they get paid"

Executors, in general, are unpaid.

I dislike the term 'tip' in this context; but there's nothing wrong with saying thank you.

And having cleared three separate properties of personal effects, I wouldn't wish the job on anyone.

They accepted the executor role.

Did they involve a solicitor?

I would be asking for the items of value to be returned as happened in my case. Got a bag of jewellery back but unfortunately a diamond ring went "missing". First edition book and painting also gone. Furniture that we were told was unsaleable went to executor's family members, then sold on.

I've been an executor a few times. Never got a "tip" and never expected one either. The person who died asked me to look after their affairs, so I did it for them. I wasn't working for those who inherited the estate.

I've been an executor a few times. Never got a "tip" and never expected one either. The person who died asked me to look after their affairs, so I did it for them. I wasn't working for those who inherited the estate.

Looking at it that way, getting a tip could be quite startling.:oops:

Never got one either and did not expect to. I see the Executor's role as looking after the final wishes of the deceased as the primary role.

Back