Tiny Crawly things in House

Hi Maybe you should try getting one of those sonic emitter plug-in yokes-You'll find them in most hardware shops.We had loads of creepycrawlies and a couple of mice( a new house problem due to disturbance of nests by building work)-we put down traps for the mice, and got a sonic emitter as insurance to keep the vermin away, and as a bonus, we got rid of the insects also! Iknow some people think their rubbish,but they're worth a go IMHO...daithi

daithi said:
Hi Maybe you should try getting one of those sonic emitter plug-in yokes-You'll find them in most hardware shops.We had loads of creepycrawlies and a couple of mice( a new house problem due to disturbance of nests by building work)-we put down traps for the mice, and got a sonic emitter as insurance to keep the vermin away, and as a bonus, we got rid of the insects also! Iknow some people think their rubbish,but they're worth a go IMHO...daithi

Have one plugged in for the past year and it's crap. Didn't get rid of the mice or these horrible beetle things. I went home last night and sprayed half a can of Raid insect spray outside the front door. When I got back from the gym there were 4 dead beetles outside the door and one just inside half dead so I threw him out. None this morning.

The fast crunchy things sound like some kind of cockroach. Do they scatter when you turn on the lights in a dark room?

extopia said:
The fast crunchy things sound like some kind of cockroach. Do they scatter when you turn on the lights in a dark room?

Nope, don't scatter - if anything they seem to freeze. They're disgusting. I didn't think we got cockroaches in Ireland??

Cahir,

To put your mind at rest you should call out Rentokil. They used to come out and give advice free of charge and let you know what was necessary and how much it would cost.

I've read horror stories about sprays used in the past to kill insects so I would take their advice and investigate thoroughly what they propose.

HTH.

Thanks Sueellen, I'll give them a call and hopefully they'll be able to help.

Oh well each to their own- maybe it was the cold that killed them off..and speaking of which, I think the Irish climate is too cold generally for cockroaches to survive-there's at least one advantage of the Irish weather! daithi

I was thinking more about Rentokil last night while spraying more Raid at the door. Is there much point calling them out to the house when the beetles are coming in from outside rather than actually living inside the house? Hopefully the cold weather will kill them off. Found one just inside the door last night and threw him out after spraying him.

Hi Cahir,

I mentioned Rentokil because (a) I thought it might not cost you anything and (b) you appear to have both mice and beetles.

One other thing you could try is to see if you can find out where the beetles are coming in i.e. if they use mainly one spot. During the summer when the ants were appearing at our back door we traced them back to 1 or 2 spots and sealed these off with clear sealer - the type in the tube/gun.

Thankfully the mouse a few weeks ago seems to have been a one off this year. I put down more poison and haven't heard anything so fingers crossed it stays that way!

The beetles seem to be coming from the direction of the field across the road. The only place they're getting in is the front door - I'm certain of this. Spraying half a can of raid every evening seems to be the only way to stop them coming in.

Hi.
Lat week I found the weirdest thing in my house.I was jet black about an inch long .It's body was exactly the same as an earwig but it had the head of an ant.
I trapped it in a glass and it coiled its back end (tail) like a scorpian as if to sting me....

Any one have any ideas ???

"Spraying half a can of raid every evening seems to be the only way to stop them coming in"

Hi Cahir,

Haven't heard of Raid before but like most of those type of sprays it probably won't be good for yourself and possibly anyone else in the house.

sueellen said:
Hi Cahir,

Haven't heard of Raid before but like most of those type of sprays it probably won't be good for yourself and possibly anyone else in the house.

That's true but I spray it outside the front door and in the silver bit underneath the door itself so you can't really smell it in the house. There are no pets or kids and myself and my boyfriend are hardly ever there so hopefully it won't affect us much.

Back