Tiny Crawly things in House

legend99

Anyone else notice these tiney little thing in their house, bathroom etc? They crawl around, I'd say just under 1 mm in size? kind of white/brown colour?
Anyone know what they are?

Second, anyone know how you can tell if dust mites are in the bed/blankets and whats the best way to kill them?

Tis a new house, but my wife is convinced she is being bitten in the new bed by stuff...

think i've seen them - yellowy brown tiny yokes. small enough to make you fear you may be carrying them unaware while they lay their spawn in anticipation of a couple of thousand hatching and burrowing deep into your skin.

:eek:

love to know what they are though!

We got hundreds of these around one of the windows in the sitting room a couple of months ago. We used to hoover them up daily but eventually they disappeared.

Cahir, I don't think those are what Legend99 was referring to - the things we are talking about are, as Legend said, under 1 millimetre in size - tiny yokes you wouldn't see from more than a foot away.

I wonder are they Aphids? see figure 2 in the webpage below

[broken link removed]

These things were tiny and you could only see them when you were close, they looked like moving black specks. They definitely weren't those things in the link - if so I'd probably have moved out!!

The first summer we spent in our house we had loads of them too. You would see them around the windowsills mostly. After that first summer they almost all dissapeared thankfully.

Have them in our house too, definitely not aphids. Havent a clue what they are. In fact I have also seen them in my office- a very old building. So they are not limited to new houses.

In relation to bed bugs- I believe you can buy duvets, mattresses, pillows etc that are specially designed to get rid of them- this is very common in France- have a look at the bed linen in Otherwise you are supposed to turn your mattress everytime the bedlinen is changed, change your pillows every 6 months, and wash or dry clean your duvet and blanket every 6 months. In between you can put them into the dryer on high temp for 30 mins to kill the bugs, and always pull the duvet down in the morning- i.e pull it to the end of the bed instead of placing it over the bed- preferably expose the mattress to sunlight every day. And always boil wash the bed linen.

I could be wrong but I think you are referring to but I think they can also look something similar to [broken link removed]

Oh, nearly forgot to mention I'm terrified of them and all creepy crawlies :eek:

I'd be interested to know if all or any of you people use feather duvets or feather pillows, the feathers of which originate from China, and where perhaps the feathers were not properly treated?

my apartment is infested with these things! i cant take it anymore.i used to think spiders were my worst nightmare,i was wrong.

ive slowly but surely found them EVERYWHERE.bedrooms,bathroom,living room and now worst of all the kitchen work tops! no matter how much we clean they dont go away.theyre small yellow/brown, fast.i cannot stress how much they stress me out.has anyone come across a product to kill them?? my boyfriend thinks im insane,altough he's seen them himself.the apartment is new,but id move just to get away from them!anyone help??

I would think that they will eventually go within a few months with the winter coming in.
If you are really worried call someone like rentokil or look up golden pages under pest control.

I believe the tiny black crawley insects mentioned are probably brought in to the house in foodstuffs. My mothers apartment was infested with them at one time. They get into bags of flour at the store and then multiply in the warm conditions of the building, especially in apartments where they can move between rooms along the pipework.Her building was fumigated but all the residents have to be on their guard. I helped my mother clean up and all food containers have to be checked for these black specks.I do believe they are a type of beetle but definitely are brought in with food. This is to do with the way bags of food are stored at warehouses and if they are in a shop with a slow turnover of sales then stock gets out of date.They are harmless but you just dont want them in your house.

The other crawleys mentioned are woodlice which live in damp conditions. Things that live in beds I would be more concerned about and there is only one solution and that is to get rid of everything including the bed, covers etc.disinfect the room and get a new bed, covers. Never ever buy a second hand bed as you are asking for trouble.

The tiny crawly things have disappeared from my house but now we're getting big crawly things - possibly beetles. They're shiny and black with very hard shells and run really fast. They range in size from about 0.5cm to 2 or 3cm.

We're regularly scooping up 3 or 4 every night and throwing them outside. I sort of got used to them but this morning I accidently stood on one (thankfully I was wearing shoes) and the loud crunching sound just made me feel sick so now I need to find a way to get rid of them altogether.
I have a spider spray that I spray at the front door and this seems to kill about 50% of them before they get into the house but what about the rest!!

Could it be a devils coach horse beetle, Cahir? I found one of these at home around this time last year and almost had a heart attack. See photo here http://homepage.eircom.net/~hedgerow10/sept13.htm

According to my wildlife book which I consulted hastily ( after screaming the house down in terror), they can tend to come indoors at this time of year. Horrible looking things.

Yuck!! They look a bit like that Vanilla but I think they're shinier and I haven't seen the defensive pose. They tend to roll over on their backs with their legs wiggling in the air unable to get up. The first time I saw one I nearly had a heart attack too - and the second time and the third time!! Then I start getting rid of them myself when my boyfriend wasn't there to save me but after crunching one this morning I don't think I'll be going near them again. I keep shivering when I think about that sound.

Yes, the one I saw was very shiny and jet black too. I didnt see the defensive pose either as I was busy running in the opposite direction...

Agghh!!! I just looked it up on Wikipedia and they bite!! Between mice and beetles I think I need to move house!

We have two small things that crawl all over the house and wake us up at night..............................only thing is they are our two kids !!

Back