Timing Belt questions

killarneyguy

Does the timing belt in a car have to be replaced every 60,000miles?

Is this standard for all cars or do some cars vary?

i am no expert, but depends on the year and make of car.
i would get it done @ 50k to be on safe side, mechanic i know have their own car done @45K. if a timing belt broke..it can do bad damage to the engine..from my real experience...bent valve, blown head gasket..and easily cost over €1000 to get it fix if they can fix it..(worst case is a new engine)
yes most mechanic can tell you wat need to be changed.

only thing i can tell u the earlier its done the better, unfortunately that money need to be spend
i am sure the Expert out here can give u a much detailed answer than mine!

good luck

I Dont know a whole lot about it but it think it has to be changed after a certain amount of miles, or 5 yrs, which ever comes first.
If it breaks while your on the road it will result in repairs of several thousand €'s.
I think a mechanic can tell if its "taught", damaged, worn etc or not but they mainly go by the miles or time since it was last done. You should be able to get it done for less than €500.

It's best practice to have the timing belt changed around 50k-60k miles. It's a costly job as the front of the car must taken off to access the area. I've a VW golf with 47k miles, my VW garage did advise me at my last service that a timing belf change would be due at the next service at 55k.

Even if you were to sell the car second hand, not having the timing belt done at the suggested mileage would certainly effect it's resale value.

Hi,I have same question, buying Renault Scenic 40k miles, garage says doesnt have to be changed until 60k however my own mechanic says I should get them to do it now before sale. Who's right? Thanks

Hi,I have same question, buying Renault Scenic 40k miles, garage says doesnt have to be changed until 60k however my own mechanic says I should get them to do it now before sale. Who's right? Thanks

I think your mechanics point is to get it thrown into the deal. It cost a garage next to nothing to do it - the materials only cost a few quid. Its the labour that costs us joe public when getting it done but the garage has them hired anyways!

Get the water pump done also. It means that you don't have to get it done for another 60k miles rather than in 20k miles...

Alfa Romeos with T Spark engines need to have timing belts changed every 36,000 miles. Some opels are also changed this frequently. It shouls d say so on the manual but get it confirmed as well by a reputable mechanic.

Hi Mechanic1,
I have a '00 Passat with just under 51k miles ... I will be trading in within the next couple of months ... Should I have the belt done ? ... Think the brakes need to be done aswell ... Could you give me an idea on the total cost of the above work or should I get it done at all if I'm trading in with a garage soon ?
Thanks in advance ...

Mechanic, i have an Audi A3 1.6 sport '03. Do you know when i should change the timing belt?

For the A3, i think every 60K miles is the recommended changing frequency

The service manual with your car should give the Timing Belt interval for changing. I had my VW beetle done this year and the quotes were: Dublin VW garage €1,000, Country VW garage €600, Mechanic up the road €400 (all quotes included €200 for materials - timing belt/water pump.)

A little calm/explaination is needed here guys and gals. All engines whether its diesel or petrol have their own unique timing arrangements. The majority are still timing belts although newer engines are reverting back to chains.As other posters have said you need to consult your handbook which"might"tell you.If you have no joy/handbook your local dealer or the esteemed guru's here will let you know.Please be more specific with the engine details when asking.

Back