TimeFrame to Sell 2 Bed in Dublin

L

LouthMan

Hi Guys

My builder will be finished my house next July. (He is on the ball and has finished all his houses on time). I am selling my 2 bed Apartment, should i put it up for sale in March, would that be enough time ?

Regards
Oisin

Hi There
I am living in the U.K and plan to return to Ireland soon. I have been watching the property market in Ireland very closely for the past year, to keep an eye on prices. I have noticed houses are taking a great deal longer to sell over the past 2-3 months with 4 houses I have been monitoring not selling in the past 2 months and one of these has droped its price from 405,000 to 365,000.
I must add that these are houses in Bray and Greystones and may or may not be a reflection of the appartment market in Dublin, but it may be something you need to consider when deciding when to sell up.

all the best.

A drop in price like that is not necessarily a refletion of the current market. One of the (national) estate agents who operate in Bray are known to over-inflate there valuations in order to get clients to sign on with them. I know of one property where this has occorued for a fact with the price dropping from 480K down to 440k which would be more in line with othe simailar properties in that part of Bray.

I bought myself in Bray over 2.5 years ago and had my property recently valued. It has increased 68% in that time, well over the national average, probably due in main to the completion of the M11 and its link onto the M50.

And what with the future development of a new Bray town centre and the Luas extension in 8 - 10 years, I think things are looking good for Bray over the long term.

Sorry to divert from the OP's question, but ...

I bought myself in Bray over 2.5 years ago and had my property recently valued. It has increased 68% in that time, well over the national average, probably due in main to the completion of the M11 and its link onto the M50.

And what with the future development of a new Bray town centre and the Luas extension in 8 - 10 years, I think things are looking good for Bray over the long term.

Fujitsu, do you honestly think your supposed 68% appreciation is due to your financial acumen and astounding foresight? Take a look around you. The entire country has gone mad. The fact that you're getting valuations done on your house when you're not even selling it (apparently) speaks volumes.

Take a read of the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Property_Bubble

Or any AAM posts about the current housing market.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinions on the attractiveness of Bray. I must admit I don't share them.

In addition, one of your fellow Bray-dwellers has the following to say about Bray on a AAM thread (just use the search to see the full post):

It's good time to buy at the moment, alot of houses in Bray are slow to sell at the moment and have been reduced in price so the EA are for once willing to negotiate. I have noticed several properties that are on the market since May/June and still not sold

I'm not saying this to score any points, it's just that all this back-slapping irritates (and worries) me ...

Sorry to divert from the OP's question, but ...

Fujitsu, do you honestly think your supposed 68% appreciation is due to your financial acumen and astounding foresight? Take a look around you. The entire country has gone mad. The fact that you're getting valuations done on your house when you're not even selling it (apparently) speaks volumes.

Take a read of the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Property_Bubble

Or any AAM posts about the current housing market.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinions on the attractiveness of Bray. I must admit I don't share them.

In addition, one of your fellow Bray-dwellers has the following to say about Bray on a AAM thread (just use the search to see the full post):

I'm not saying this to score any points, it's just that all this back-slapping irritates (and worries) me ...

Ah take it easy on him. He could have rounded up the figure to 70%. !
Besides, if he really was that smart he would have realised his gains before the market stalled.

Its not about back slapping or any of that. The revaluation is being done as part of the new NIB LTV mortgages, that I'm considering, nothing more.

And as for this slow/drop down in the market, its just due to people waiting to see whats going to happen in the budget.

As for the original question, March should be fine. Any action on stamp duty in the budget will probably be good for sellers as it was last time and if they don't make any changes you'll have all those people who waited coming on to that market at the same time.

And as for this slow/drop down in the market, its just due to people waiting to see whats going to happen in the budget.

Famous last words. Do you honestly believe that? I would love to see you raise this point on "Current public sentiment towards the housing market?". I think I would need earplugs for the volume of laughter it would produce.

The Current public sentiment towards the housing market market thread seems to be the black hole of AAM at the moment. Everything seems to get sucked towards it...

Ah take it easy on him. He could have rounded up the figure to 70%. !
Besides, if he really was that smart he would have realised his gains before the market stalled.

Hmm. I don't know anything about Fujitsu's financial position, so I'm not lumping him in with my next statement. But I'd imagine there is a certain breed of "amateur investor" who are going to have their tails firmly between their legs in the not too distant future.

Fujitsu, you obviously have not realised this: your home is not an investment. Some people do not even class your home as an asset. What does it matter if your house is worth XXX euro? It only matters if you are selling it and buying a cheaper/smaller home with the proceeds. Why all the self-congratulations? Why the unshaken optimism in the current climate? Take a look around. Far smarter folks than you or I are predicting a serious market correction. We'll all be in the same boat, some of us however, will be more mentally prepared for it.

The Current public sentiment towards the housing market market thread seems to be the black hole of AAM at the moment. Everything seems to get sucked towards it...

I know. But there is so much wealth in property and even George Lee from RTE thinks that the celtic boom is "dead and has been for a long time" and is now only dependent on the property market.
[broken link removed]

So thats why everything is being dragged towards the thread...

My builder will be finished my house next July. (He is on the ball and has finished all his houses on time). I am selling my 2 bed Apartment, should i put it up for sale in March, would that be enough time ?

5 or 6 months sounds like it should be long enough to shift but it's very hard to know. Inventaries are building up at the moment and gives buyers lots of options.
If you're worried about getting stuck with two mortgages for awhile you could put it on the market now and sell it sooner rather than later. You'd only have to rent for a few months until your house is ready and it may take a lot of weight off your mind.

This can not be said with any great certainty. The Q2 report released by Daft this year shows that asking prices began falling in April. That's a long time before the "B" word even came into the equation.

Back