Time to switch again (domestic) - exact date

Madra

So I'm due for renewal and started 16/02/19 so want to get the timing right. Do I put the same day and month 16/02 down as start date and have the read from that date handy as my current reading or will the new provider make sure the read it on the day ? Should I request a discount similar to which I got of Energia now and tell them I'm moving in the hope they offer to continue the deal (30%) ? Any other thing to look for ?

Your current contract should specify when your obligation ends, make sure you choose a date after that to avoid penalties. A few days won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

The only issue with asking your current supplier to match a competitor's quote is you'll have to go through the same routine every year. More people choosing the best value supplier will force the others to compete on long-term prices and not introductory gimmicks.

Your contract start date is on your first bill which is available online. It states the 'date billed for' somewhere there but you should have a welcome letter with the start date on it as well.

So I'm due for renewal and started 16/02/19 so want to get the timing right. Do I put the same day and month 16/02 down as start date and have the read from that date handy as my current reading or will the new provider make sure the read it on the day ? Should I request a discount similar to which I got of Energia now and tell them I'm moving in the hope they offer to continue the deal (30%) ? Any other thing to look for ?

I was with Energia on the 30% discount for 12 months, but I forgot it had expired before Christmas, and got a big bill a few weeks ago. That prompted me to immediately go online and switch providers.

Within 3 days Energia rang me and offered to extend the offer for a further 12 months, backdated to the date, so I cancelled my switch and I’ll have a nice credit against the next bill from Energia.

I just phoned Energia,as I'm now just out of contract,and the best he could offer was 11% off gas and electricity unit prices.I was on 35% discount.
I declined his generous offer.
Why don't any energy suppliers want a long term relationship?

Just because you were on 35% discount doesn't mean that 11% was a bad offer.

You need to compare the price with the price that other companies are offering - using bonkers.ie or another price comparison site will help to decide

I went with Electric Ireland.Similar prices to what energia were quoting with €250 cash back.

Back