Time to switch again (domestic) - exact date

Madra

So I'm due for renewal and started 16/02/19 so want to get the timing right. Do I put the same day and month 16/02 down as start date and have the read from that date handy as my current reading or will the new provider make sure the read it on the day ? Should I request a discount similar to which I got of Energia now and tell them I'm moving in the hope they offer to continue the deal (30%) ? Any other thing to look for ?

Your current contract should specify when your obligation ends, make sure you choose a date after that to avoid penalties. A few days won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

The only issue with asking your current supplier to match a competitor's quote is you'll have to go through the same routine every year. More people choosing the best value supplier will force the others to compete on long-term prices and not introductory gimmicks.

Is the contract end date on my energies bill,or do I have to ring customer service?

Your contract start date is on your first bill which is available online. It states the 'date billed for' somewhere there but you should have a welcome letter with the start date on it as well.

I was with Energia on the 30% discount for 12 months, but I forgot it had expired before Christmas, and got a big bill a few weeks ago. That prompted me to immediately go online and switch providers.

Within 3 days Energia rang me and offered to extend the offer for a further 12 months, backdated to the date, so I cancelled my switch and I’ll have a nice credit against the next bill from Energia.

I just phoned Energia,as I'm now just out of contract,and the best he could offer was 11% off gas and electricity unit prices.I was on 35% discount.
I declined his generous offer.
Why don't any energy suppliers want a long term relationship?

Just because you were on 35% discount doesn't mean that 11% was a bad offer.

You need to compare the price with the price that other companies are offering - using bonkers.ie or another price comparison site will help to decide

I went with Electric Ireland.Similar prices to what energia were quoting with €250 cash back.