Time to submit a claim to FSO

daheff

Hi

I've had a couple of queries with Banks lately (namely PTSB issuing a Visa Debit card when I specifically selected ATM only card on application form).

In their response they said that I only have 15 working days from issuing of their response to make a complaint to FSO.

Is this correct or are they chancing their arm?

In fairness they say they will take 5 working days to respond to any complaint made and take a further 20 working days to investigate and respond. Hardly seems fair that they can take 25 working days whereas I only get 15 to further my complaint to FSO.

Hardly seems fair that they can take 25 working days whereas I only get 15 to further my complaint to FSO.

Just send in the initial applicatin to the FSO on time. It just gets the ball rolling, you can be sure it will take the FSO ages to get back to you so you'll have plenty of time to get all documents ready.

[broken link removed]

Do you have to have a letter from the financial institution confirming that its their final response? OR is it as long as they say you can refer the complaint?

Basically PTSB have sent a letter with a response saying I can refer my complaint to FSO if I'm not happy with their response, but have not said that their letter is their Final Response.

AFAIK all new ATM cards are issuesd in association with VISA. Why would this be a problem for you. If you don't wish to use the card for other transactyions, you can simply use it as an ATM card!

AFAIK all new ATM cards are issuesd in association with VISA. Why would this be a problem for you. If you don't wish to use the card for other transactyions, you can simply use it as an ATM card!

1-The main reason is that they are inherently unsafe. There have been numerous articles in the press recently where they have displayed how easy it is to skim one of those cards. Just look at various forums and you will see multiple threads with people being skimmed and immediately out of pocket because the card is directly linked to the bank account of the individual. you then have to fight with the banks to prove that you havent used the card for the transactions to get your money back. In addition as visa debits dont always need a pin for small transactions you can get caught out pretty quickly without noticing.

2-The bank are forcing a financial product onto me without my consent. I do not wish to have this product, but yet cannot have a bank account without one? Would you agree to having a mortgage ready for draw down linked to your current account just to be able to have a current account? Its the same principle

3-while there currently is no fee for just having the facility, i foresee finance ministers making the fee payable just because you have the card in your posession

just a couple of links showing how unsafe visa debit its

http://www.channel4.com/news/fraud-fears-grow-over-contactless-bank-card-technology

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=171655
they are not secure from this point of view , if one loses the card unknown to themselves, and some dishonest person finds it . they can use the contactless card in shops etc who have the technology installed , and keep obtaining goods up to a maximum value of 15 euros at a time until until the person who lost it discovers the loss or they are asked for the pin number. the pin number request is only random so one may never be asked for it. i recieved this info when i asked in the bank about the security. in fact the lady i talked to in the bank told me that she had changed hers for one without the contactless facility on it.

http://www.zdnet.com/barclays-rolls-out-contactless-debit-card-3039621475/

please note the age of some of these links....it means that these vulnerabilities have been around for quite a while without anything being done to rectify them.

regards

What about writing to Bank, advise them of the Security issue ,ask them to acknowledge your concern and ask them to cover you for any losses that arise from what you see as their fault or to give you a card that excludes this issue.

I don,t really see this as an Ombudsman issue and would think he has far too much on his plate in any event !!!

What about writing to Bank, advise them of the Security issue ,ask them to acknowledge your concern and ask them to cover you for any losses that arise from what you see as their fault or to give you a card that excludes this issue.

I don,t really see this as an Ombudsman issue and would think he has far too much on his plate in any event !!!

I have outlined my concerns to them, but they arent interested. My main issue is the providing of a financial product to me that I have not applied for.

while the card has been cancelled, its pretty much made the account redundant as theres little point in having a bank account that I can only access funds by going into a branch.

I hear you , but Banks have an irritating habit of being skilled at ignoring genuine customer concerns..
They did provide a Financial Product you did not ask for. Bet you tuppence they will say something like (our surveys show, most customers like this etc etc etc) and effectively will ignore you as a nuisance !!!
ps; Maybe they should be made redundant !!!!

Back