Time Machine Question

Latrade

My mother has been on a family history blitz and while getting quite unexpectedly emotional over those family members lost to the famine and those who lived through harsh harsh times, a thought struck me: what if I invented a time machine and sat down with these ancestors and explained to them why my life was so awful because:
  • people are annoying on airplanes
  • people are annoying in cinemas
  • sometimes people don't say thank you or please
  • even though I have a house, a house that has heating, a house that has plumbing, a house that is insulated, sometimes my HD digital tv subscription service sometimes goes wrong and I lose programmes I've recorded, or sometimes have to go for several hours with no access to tv at all
  • etc
I'm sure I'd find a sympathtic ear.

I agree.

What about the fact that the packaging on all the easily accessible processed food is SO hard to open.

I bet a housewife in a rural house in 1930s Ireland with no plumbing, or heating trying to feed kids on what will grow on the stony ground outside would feel my pain.

It's the letting off steam forum
We can post about anything here even if they seem to be first world problems

Is the message behind the thread to stop posting?

It's the letting off steam forum
We can post about anything here even if they seem to be first world problems

Is the message behind the thread to stop posting?

Nope, I'm just letting off my own steam without hijacking any other thread.

My mother has been on a family history blitz and while getting quite unexpectedly emotional over those family members lost to the famine and those who lived through harsh harsh times, a thought struck me: what if I invented a time machine and sat down with these ancestors and explained to them why my life was so awful because:
  • even though I have a house, a house that has heating, a house that has plumbing, a house that is insulated, sometimes my HD digital tv subscription service sometimes goes wrong and I lose programmes I've recorded, or sometimes have to go for several hours with no access to tv at all
  • etc

Yeah, all these terrible inhuman First World Problems.

Ah fair enough Latrade:)

Lot of unemployment up around Louth these days, they have it rough.

But they should be grateful, no Viking invaders to massacre them and steal their gold

• etc

Oh lighten up Latrade. We live in the age we live in and are obviously going to find things about our day to day life niggling. No one ever said the issues above are on a par with dying in the famine or whatever. We are just letting off steam because it's fun, cathartic, etc.

a thought struck me: what if I invented a time machine and sat down with these ancestors and explained to them why my life was so awful because:

I would think you were pretty selfish for using your machine to go back in time to unload your problems onto them. They have enough to worry about without you moaning!

Oh lighten up Latrade. We live in the age we live in and are obviously going to find things about our day to day life niggling. No one ever said the issues above are on a par with dying in the famine or whatever. We are just letting off steam because it's fun, cathartic, etc.

Every thing you just said, but instead relating to my post. Except perhaps with an irony sign about me being asked to lighten up given 12 pages of largely petty rants. It's fine, I get the joke, I just find a constant drive to find something to complain about niggling, s'all.

I would think you were pretty selfish for using your machine to go back in time to unload your problems onto them. They have enough to worry about without you moaning!

Especially cruel when I unload my woes about kids in a cinema who then go out and play football and then tell the ancestor that unfortunately time travel rules mean I can't intefer in their lives, but they should really, really enjoy the next few days and hours, almost as if it were their last.

Every thing you just said, but instead relating to my post. Except perhaps with an irony sign about me being asked to lighten up given 12 pages of largely petty rants. It's fine, I get the joke, I just find a constant drive to find something to complain about niggling, s'all.

Especially cruel when I unload my woes about kids in a cinema who then go out and play football and then tell the ancestor that unfortunately time travel rules mean I can't intefer in their lives, but they should really, really enjoy the next few days and hours, almost as if it were their last.

I'm sorry, but I really don't know what you are going on about.

Latrade is right. There are some people on here who would complain about the fluidity of water. I went back over some posts and one person was complaining about a dog barking at 8.30am on a Saturday morning, another was moaning about ongoing house alarms going off from time to time, others were complaining that they had no contact with their neighbours, some never knew their neighbours. Somebody else was objecting to children crying - Were you ever young yourselves? They all blamed their neighbours and not themselves.

No problems with people letting off steam, but when I offered some solutions e.g ask your neighbour who he/she is, ask around to who would have a mobile phone number for the landlord with the faulty alarm etc etc. Also, I offered ideas on how to get to know your neighbours. I got creamed by some of the MOANERS.

Latrade is right, please let him/her alone and look inwards.

The above is not meant to hurt anybody's feelings, I'm just calling the situations as they are.

Latrade is right. There are some people on here who would complain about the fluidity of water. I went back over some posts and one person was complaining about a dog barking at 8.30am on a Saturday morning, another was moaning about ongoing house alarms going off from time to time, others were complaining that they had no contact with their neighbours, some never knew their neighbours. Somebody else was objecting to children crying - Were you ever young yourselves? They all blamed their neighbours and not themselves.

No problems with people letting off steam, but when I offered some solutions e.g ask your neighbour who he/she is, ask around to who would have a mobile phone number for the landlord with the faulty alarm etc etc. Also, I offered ideas on how to get to know your neighbours. I got creamed by some of the MOANERS.

Latrade is right, please let him/her alone and look inwards.

The above is not meant to hurt anybody's feelings, I'm just calling the situations as they are.

So you are moaning about people moaning??

You people are crazy.

If I had a time machine, Id be straight down to the shops to buy a compendium of sporting events winners, then off in my DeLorean to an earlier time to place many bets, become massively rich, and then back in my Delorean to now, pay off my negative equity with my ill gotten gains, and then onto AAM for a quick rant about how the mechanics quote for my flux capacitor repair seems very high :)

Watching my 15 month old baby daughter expertly navigate through my phone to open her game application of choice I can't help wondering if we would not be a lot further along had somebody invented the microchip in the 16th century.

Probably too busy taking 200 years to build a Cathedral with a slide rule fashioned from a donkeys hip bone to have bothered. Lazy gits.

Back