Timber Frame vs Masonry

S

ShaneMc

Hi folks,

I'm in the very early stages of looking into building a house. I really like the idea of a timber framed house for various reasons, but I'm wondering does it work out much more expensive to build than a regular bricks and mortar house?

Has anybody had experience building a timber framed house? How did you find it? Did it work out much more expensive than a masonry house? Are the savings in terms of heating etc. noticable?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
S.

timber frame vs. masonry

I strongly recommend the reading of the magazine "Construct Ireland",the latest issue No.8,ISSN 1649-3389 01.On page 40-60 you find all the reasons why not to go for the "traditional" concrete block home.These homes are -basically-crap.U-values(building regulations!) are in principal not adhered to.
Timber frame is in principle not a bad method.But make sure that you get a wind/air tight building,the blower door test is a must.
But there are also "stone" methods that feature very well considering value for money,"Poroton" for example.
And if you have the chance:try a sleep over.Most cars are bought in the range of 10-20 thousand €s AFTER a test drive.Homes cost at least ten times that much and bought from the plan without any personal test....
A car is dumped after ten years whilst a home wouldn't be paid of after this time....So look twice and pay once(smiley).

Back