Timber frame versus Block

kasko said:
What is the source of information that 70 % of developed world live in timber framed homes? I know that's correct regarding US, however when hurricane strikes all those homes get easily blown away. Shaking sends them sliding to one side because the connection to the foundation is a weak point that gives way.

But most of the houses blown away by hurricanes are fully wooden structures not just wooden frame with block & render outer core...

but there's no way that timber can reduce noise you can hear downstairs while someone is walking upstairs!

In most cases this is the same for timber frame or block build...both have timber floorboards..so same noise.. I've never been in a house where the upper floors were concrete.

Well, if you read my reply earlier on this topic, you'd see that I mentioned concrete ceiling (or upper floor if you like).
That's why it is a lot more expensive because obviously you'd need slabs, mesh and so on...And you can have an elephant jumping upstairs :)

I believe you can use a ligtweight concrete as your floor upstairs in a timber frame house - thus cutting out the noise? Anyone have experience of doing this?

Hi after alot of research, I mean agonising months of it, we are going to build a timber frame house. There are a number of reasons 1. speed 2. cost (all quotes were cheaper than block built) 3. heating 4. our financial advisor encouraged it for re-sale value and that in a few years all houses have to be 'energy' efficient, which timber frame are, brick is not and alot of other reasons as well.

I've lived in block built all my life until we rented a timber frame house last year and the difference in heating bills and noise was unbelievable. In all the other houses we rented - noise from the neighbours was an issue but not in the semi-d timber frame. A friend of mine suggested acoustic insulation but double it for more noise reduction and even sheeps wool would make all the difference. Also our solicitor who lived in Canada for 15 years is building his house at the present - timber frame! He said he would live in nothing else!

I think a few years ago, timber frame was considered shoddy but then we weren't that experienced in it but now there are a huge amount of companies doing it - I submitted our plans to approximately 11 timber frame companies for quotes, compared to 5 recommended builders!

In relation to timber houses rotting and being invested by all sorts of wierd and wonderful creatures and falling down around our feet.......some of the oldest buildings in the world are timber frame - have you ever seen where Shakespeare was born?!!

Shakespeare was born in 1564. Do you think reinforced steel bars etc even existed back then?

What about air raid shelters? If timber is as solid and durable as steel and concrete I am sure it'd be a lot cheaper to timber-frame them

Kasko, I belive ellamac's point re Shakespear is that the house is still standing and in good repair, not that they chose to go timber frame over any other method.

Bringing air raid shelters into this is going way off topic and adds nothing to the thread. Are you suggesting concrete homes adhere to the same standards as a shelter designed to withstand a direct hit?

Could you confirm if you have any interest in the industry?
Leo

I know what he meant, i only suggested that back then people couldn't have chosen anything but timber.
I used air raid shelters only to make an extreme comparison between the two. Just the other extreme as opposed to Shakespeare's house

The 70% I refer to includes US, Canada, Scandinavia, Europe, Australia and Japan. As for hurricanes - thankfully Ireland doesn't have to worry about them and as alread pointed out the houses in the US are also clad in timber where as the majority of TF houses in Ireland are clad in brick or other material.

I cannot help thinking that you are working in the industry - perhaps Irish Concrete Federation?

Ah, no... If you read my earlier replies you'll see that I'm talking about concrete upper floor,as well as concrete stairs. The way apartments are built....

Do you know of many
kasko said:
ordinary people's homes
that are built with concrete stairs and concrete upper floors? I only know of 1 person who has done this. IMO it's a bit excessive and unnecessary. As you've stated this is primarly used in apartment blocks and commercial units.

I do know, but not in Ireland..And it's a hell of the difference.
That's why I said if you had the money, build it that way.

Why don't they use the timber floors in apartment blocks?

We have a tf house built and we are putting in a concrete floor upstairs. I know of a few who have it done and it is mostly for ufh. The house has to be designed to hold the extra weight, which costs slightly more.

Housing estate tf houses have more noise transfer becuase alot of them tend not to have insulated internal walls
Eve

Even by properly insulating internal walls, you are only reducing airborne noise. The real problem is impact noise (carried by structure) and there's very little or nothing that could be done to improve that once the floors are made with timber

Hi there, we are down to decision making time, timber frame or block. TF is a little cheaper than block. Even though the company who quoted us for the timber frame is of very high standard, my consideration is fire. We also live on a high site with no shelter (ok, we plan to set trees next year). We are due to start building in Jan. Any suggestions regarding fire, and a very windy exposed site - with regards to building a timber frame house. And one other thing, I read that it's a good idea to put in insulation in the internal walls for cutting down on airbourne noise - would a block built house suffer from airbourne noise in the same way at each floor level, as I didn't think you would put insulation in the internal walls.

We are also planning to put in a useable attic for office use - how does this affect insultation? Is the walls of a timber frame house strong enough to withstand an attic that would be used? Thanks for any comments.

Why don't they use the timber floors in apartment blocks?

Timber floors are used in two and three floor apartment blocks. In these units the acoustic performance of the "Party floor" (between two different units must comply with the building regulations.

Currently building a detached timber framed house and to reduce sound transfer I am using rockwool insulation between all internal walls and a lights weight screed to the first floor level (also have UFH) which should go some way to reducing sound transfer.
Timber framed house are much more energy efficent than block built house and with energy costs soaring combined with new energy ratings coming into effect next year, it is my opinion that this will have a major impact on resale value in years to come. With regard to cost of construction vs. blcok, it is my opinion that they are commparable!

When is it too late to decide whether to build with brick/block or timberframe ? Would the type of house have to be put on the planning application ? How long does it take to receive the timberframe on site after initial order ?

Back