Timber frame house - cavity vents

kiranp

I am buying a timber frame house and the survey says that there aren't enough cavity vents in the walls, the ones that are there aren't big enough and are mostly blocked.

Can anyone explain if this is a big problem/big job to fix? Is this a problem that comes up in timber frame houses?

Some general pointers.
TF houses with a block outer leaf require a ventilated cavity to maintain a dry structure (the tf is structural). Your surveyor has highlighted a possible issue with this ventilated cavity i.e. there is not sufficient ventilation.
The ventilation deficiency can be readily addressed. However, the obvious risk here is that there is already some moisture damage to the structure but the only way to ascertain this is to do some exploratory invasive work which the vendor is unlikely to allow.
So the question in my mind is how long has this issue existed and how likely is it that rot has already set in.? (How old is the house?). When you viewed it were there any visual issues or damp / musty smells? Is your house part of a scheme and if so are there differences in cavity ventilation between yours and your neighbours. What ventilation systems are present in the house itself which might have relieved / reduced the amount of moisture available to mitigate the issue. What type of outer skin is on the house (rendered blockwork, unrendered brickwork, other?) and how exposed to the elements is the house?
So more questions than answers I'm afraid but if under-ventilation has existed for a time these are the questions that need to be answered to help come to an educated decision (guess) on how or indeed whether to proceed. Perhaps your surveyor can help you further with this.

Do you have any idea who I can ask to install the proper cavity ventilation? I have a timber framed house and need to address this as was informed there was inadequate cavity ventilation. No sign of any issues but possibly not sure what I should be looking out for... the house is over 20 years old.

Do you have any idea who I can ask to install the proper cavity ventilation? I have a timber framed house and need to address this as was informed there was inadequate cavity ventilation. No sign of any issues but possibly not sure what I should be looking out for... the house is over 20 years old.
It's not difficult and any competent builder would be well capable of doing it. Essentially it requires holes to be cored in the outer leaf in appropriate places (generally top/bottom at intervals depending) on each elevation and covered with a grill plate to allow air through the cavity (space between the timber frame and outer leaf).

Back