Tiling over concrete AND wood floor

thundercat

Hope somebody can help me. Planning on tiling the kitchen floor in my ramshackle 50's house before I put my new kitchen in. About 2/3 is concrete and then the rest is wooden floorboards, it's actually pretty level as it is, I'm just not sure what to do that will keep it level! In the bathroom I will be laying ply over floorboards- is it the same case in the kitchen and if so that part will be higher than the concrete then - so confused!! :confused:

In the kitchen try and take up timber. Use floor levelling compound before tiling. In batroom use marine ply and coat with polybond then make sure to use flexible tile advesive and flexible grout.

I can't take up the timber as it's nailed into joists and then there's a huge gap under the boards, I'm expecting to find maps and treasure in there! So if I just nail down the ply on the floorboards and then pour leveling compound on the rest of the floor to meet the ply that should work? Thanks so much for the quick responses - I'm hoping to start today - lucky me!

Ok - new solution, I'm going to take up the floorboards and put ply of the same thickness down on the joists, thanks for the help.

Hi thundercat, hope you find some tresure in the proccess, make sure the ply is thick enough and of the marine quality. Good luck with your work and let us know how it works out for you..

I think WBP ply is more than adequate for this application, "marine ply" is likely to cost 3 times more than WBP. I think it would be wise to include a movement control joint at the conc./ timber junction as you will get differential movement here which will cause cracking if tiled over. Your tile supplier should be able to advise.

Back