Tiling bathroom - where to tile?

corkcuu

About to buy tiles for our new house but not 100% sure of where to tile in the bathrooms - do you tile floor to ceiling all round??
Our house at the mo just has tiles around bath area but seems to be the new thing to do all walls now is it?
Could you do certain walls and leave others to be painted or would it look strange?

Re: Tiling bathroom - where to tile???

I'd say it's down to personal taste and the type of effect you want to get. Also the size and shape of the bathroom has a lot to do with it. Although personally I think if you are tiling the whole room you need to be careful not to create a room that is bland and has no character.
Also remember if you tile it all you're stuck with it for a long time.

I opted for 1/2 way up in the main bathroom as I have no shower in there, plain white tiles with a nice border(black,white and grey) and painted the top half a rich fruit-of-the-forest yoghurt colour. Co-ordinating towels and candles pulled the room together - it's very clean looking without being too sterile.

If you intend to tile the whole way - go for matt instead of shiny tiles, (too much like an operating theatre!), pick max of 2 colours and co-ordinate your accessories - as said by SeanA, make sure it's something that you'll like as you'll be stuck with it for a long time.

I will give one bit of advice if you're not planning on tiling the room and only where the shower/bath is. Tile above the sink! In new apartment we've bought they only tiled where the bath and shower are and now it's difficult as the OH is a bit messy at the sink! Just something to think about.
ad

We tiled floor to ceiling in the shower cubicle and half tiled everywhere else. Great result.

personally dont like fully tiled bathrooms as feel they can be quite cold and you will be looking at them for a long time as other posters have said.
3 bathrooms with the same cream tile 30cm * 10cm and glass mosaic tiles in between. Cream walls in wipeable vinyl paint in all bathrooms.

Downstairs bathroom we have bath with shower head attached, tiled to the same height as the window on two walls around the bath with red glass tiles through the cream tiles. Tiled 4 tiles high over the sink(horizontally).

upstair bathroom, no shower yet but bath in the eaves, just plain cream tiles 4 high around bath and sink, no glass mosaic tiles used as couldnt decide on a colour, will brighten it up with accessories when we actually start to use, gotta toilet train the small man first.

Ensuite, same cream tiles and mint glass mosaic tiles in shower area and 3 high tiles over sink.

looks cool and fresh, but not cold.
was going to tile all bathrooms fully, but sis got hers done and a friend tiled theirs fully, and its just got a cold feel and is cold.

Only in house 4 months but no probs with this setup, did live in a house with similar setup before but no tiles over tile, that was a pain with toothpaste and splashbacks.

Back