Tiles cracked in shower after 18 months

ontherun

I installed a new bathroom nearly 2 years ago. Some months ago, some veneer broke away from one of the tiles (which are large) in the corner of the shower. I automatically blamed the tiles. However, 2 months later I noticed that 4 or 5 tiles have what looks like hairline cracks going through them (the bottom row of the tiles were cut very small, like a border). They are mainly on the bottom row, 2 in the row above, which is also the row where the veneer broke away. This has happened on both walls of the shower.

I met the tiler one day and told him what had happened. I have been told by 2 people that the reason why the tiles cracked is because there wasn't enough adhesive used in the first place. He straight away told me that my walls were uneven. I was annoyed that he gave me such a quick answer - why didn't he point that out when he was tiling. I told him that it was on both walls so he said he'd have a look. He came the other day and told me that it was the plaster, bathrooms are damp places, especially around the shower so the plaster was wet. He is due to come today to replace the tiles. I didn't ask who was to pay for the job - whether he is correcting something that is his fault initially or whether I'm to foot the bill. I don't mind paying if it's something that just unfortunately happened but I don't see why I should have to pay for it if it was the tilers fault.

If anyone has any experience of the same problem, I'd really appreciate a reply.

was there a bath seal put on the shower tray. If not then water can get in behind and cause the tiles to start falling off and on a more serious note if it gets down behind the shower tray it could come down through the ceiling below if this bathroom is upstairs. If there is no bathseal on, Make sure and get him take off all the bottom row on the shower and put on a bath seal.

Back