Tile supplier looking for additional payment for their error.

colin79ie

I sent a drawing to tile supplier for bathroom tiles showing size of each wall, total area etc.
Supplier then quoted for tiles which I paid for and were delivered. The tiler then found that there wasn't enough tiles midway through the job. After a quick investigation it turned out that the supplier made an error and had quoted and delivered less than what the drawing said.

They are now looking for payment on delivery for the remaining tiles.

I have resisted and told them that I sent the correct drawings, received a quote for what I assumed was the correct amount of tiles, and paid for the tiles . It was their miscalculation and therefore they must bear the cost of their error.

Am I correct in insisting they supply the remaining tiles ?

You bought x number of tiles. You need y. You're expecting to get the remaining tiles for free? How does that work?

I'm pretty sure there's nothing legal about you getting the remaining tiles for free if that's the angle you are coming from. They can also say they stated x amount of tiles cost this amount and you didn't see the mistake as well. I'd say you are going to have to cough up unless you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

You need extra tiles. Unfortunately you have to pay for the extra tiles.

You haven't a leg to stand on. They didn't leave you short because you got what you paid for.

Stop trying to pull a fast one.

Reactions: Leo
You definitely need to pay for the extra tiles but the delivery should be free

They're actually under no obligation to supply you the remaining tiles. I know of a machine parts store in Co. Meath who had a once-off customer drive up from Mayo to source a rare enough part. He then started to quibble strongly enough about the price. The store owner picked up the part, deliberately let it fall and break on the ground, and told yer man to find one in Mayo.

Fair enough they made an error, but I assume they only charged you initially for the amount of tiles you received. You can't expect them to give you the balance of tiles needed for free.

I don't think you are as mislead as some posters are suggesting. Although in the end I would doubt you have any claim on the rest of the tiles.

It is common for contractors to tender for work based on drawings, they have to calculate the materials needed and if they miscalculate then they must bear the cost.

However you are dealing with a supplier, not a contractor, who delivered and presumably charged for less tiles than you said you wanted. If you went into a shop and asked for two bags of coal and they gave you one and charged you for one, you wouldn't expect to get the second free.

If your contract was for "enough tiles to complete the work shown on the drawings" then you might have a claim, but I would think it is more likely that you contracted on the suppliers Ts & Cs.

So the tile store quoted for an incorrect calculation and delivered that calculation worth of tiles and charged correctly for that?

Its an error. We all make them.

Can't see how in any way you could think you'd be entitled to free tiles.

If however you gave the correct figure of sawy 120sqm of tile (not lengths and widths for someone else to calculate) and they quoted you for 120sq m and then delivered 100sqm, then you'd have a case.

But being charged for exactly what was delivered even if it wasn't the correct amount doesn't entitle you to anything but an apology.

What I would be more worried about is if they are not the same batch and colour will differ, regular occurrence in this type of situation. Get their confirmation on this.

I suppose the cynic in me would say that perhaps the supplier deliberately got the wrong amount in order to secure the deal. At the end of the day, the op went for best quote based on what they thought was the correct amount of tiles. Did you keep other quotes based on tile price ?

What I would be more worried about is if they are not the same batch and colour will differ, regular occurrence in this type of situation. Get their confirmation on this.

That's a very good point, and the reason a good tiler will check before the work starts.

It's not a huge additional cost but I received the quote based on the area I submitted. They have apologized and are supplying the remaining tiles at cost price. I just want the job finished.

I have already spoken to them regarding the colour etc to ensure the same batch
Thanks

The drawing may not have allowed for waste in other words if you used all of the tiles you may have enough.Cost of the extra tiles which you need anyway if you are halfway through tiling is small compared to total cost of job .They may not have any tiles to sell you if they run out of stock.

Back