Ticker for Diesel?

DreamingOf

Hi all,

I am looking for a 'ticker' in order to follow 'diesel'.
I keep hearing that the price of diesel for cars is going to rise (& rise). Can anyone help me identify a stock(s) for pure diesel - before it comes to the pumps in the forecourts etc..? And if so, please pass on such a ticker

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I don't think there is a ticker for Diesel as such. The price of diesel in Ireland is affected by many inputs, tax, import duty making up a big portion of it, so often the price of diesel in ireland might rise without the underlying cost of the oil itself rising.

There is a ticker for the price of oil on the US Stock exchange which tracks the price of a barrell of oil which would probably suit. When oil goes up, diesel goes up.

Here is a page showing the perfromance of the OIL ticker on the US market.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=oil

Peadar

Thanks Peadar. That makes sense. So to invest in diesel, I would need to invest in oil.

You do make an interesting point re. price of dieesl being affected by many inputs, tax, import duty etc... Would you know, where I could get the prices of diesel before these inputs are put on it? Perhaps the wholesale prices of diesel?
It would be interesting to see if the price of diesel is indeed increasing or if there are other factors behind it...

You could maybe talk to importers, like local oil companies. They might know the price of raw diesel before import duty and taxes are added on.

Actually, the price of green diesel is pretty much tax free I think, so that might help you.

Peadar

Back