Thursday night TV = Entrepreneurial Night

ivorystraws

Channel 4 @ 20:00: Risking It All
Martin Webb advises Steve and Lindsay, a couple wanting to give up their well-paid jobs and open a restaurant in Kent - though Lindsay's plan to work during the day as well as in the new venture at night could prove too taxing

BBC2 @ 21:50: Underground Britain
Having money woes? Would you like to get a few tips of a successful millionaire? In this documentary, film-maker Saul Dibb follows multi-millionaire property dealer Spencer Michael as he shares the tips that made him rich in a series of expensive seminars. However, claims arise about his business methods mid-way thought the film… .

RTE 1 @ 22:15 The Mentor
Dr Jeanne Bolger and Jay Bourke give health-spa owners the Walton brothers a hand with their business plan to develop a line of beauty products, introducing them to the cosmetics industry and providing expert advice.

RTE 1 @ 23:05 Entrepreneur of the Year
A chance to see another eight of the shortlisted finalists for this year's Entrepreneur of the Year Awards, the final of which takes place on September 25.

What I don't get about that entreprenuer of the year show is why they don't restrict it to new firms. Is it just E and Y touting for business from well established firms? Last week there was a firm on who had been in business since 1969 or something. I'm half expecting Brian Goggins to feature on the show tonight talking about this revolutionary idea wherein people give their money to someone for safekeeping and then they loan it out to others (x100).......

ivorystraws said:
Channel 4 @ 20:00: Risking It All
Martin Webb advises Steve and Lindsay, a couple wanting to give up their well-paid jobs and open a restaurant in Kent - though Lindsay's plan to work during the day as well as in the new venture at night could prove too taxing

I'm half watching this (im on the pc, but the tv's just to my right) and it seems relatively interesting... noting spectacular, just the usual case of underestimated the costs, overestimated the sales.... and an unwillingness to listen to advice. The chef/owner is insisting on changeing the menu every two weeks for example.

Glenbhoy said:
Is it just E and Y touting for business from well established firms? Last week there was a firm on who had been in business since 1969

That is a completly incorrect statement
They also give it to media hungary existing clients

But in support of your claim,
While I working for EY in the Caribbean the award was given to a man in his sixties who was a director of one of the largest and oldest privately owned groups in the region
Coincidently, 18 months later after recruiting the two partners of another auditing firm who dealt with the "entreprenure", the group switched to EY as auditors

[email protected]

I saw most of Risking it All but missed the end of it. Have to say I was absolutely appalled that they had been able to even secure a loan as they didn't seem to have much of a business plan. They didn't seem to have even considered trying to work in the area before throwing all their money at a new business in an area that neither of them had any experience in. It seemed very much like they were caught up in the romance of the idea but didn't have a huge amount of common sense to back it up. I wonder if they managed to stay in business - did it show this at the end of the program?

At the end of the programme, it was concluded that they didn't have enough seating capacity to enable them to increase they're profit margins in order to give them a comfortable income!

ivorystraws said:
At the end of the programme, it was concluded that they didn't have enough seating capacity to enable them to increase they're profit margins in order to give them a comfortable income!

After spending something like 80,000 refurbishing the place it seems to me that this is a very basic thing they should have thought about before getting involved! Madness. If I remember the figures correctly they got 120,000 from the sale of their house, had 56,000 in savings and borrowed 240,000. Perhaps they would make enough to repay that loan by selling the property and that's how they managed to get it in the first place? Or maybe next thing we'll see is Gordon Ramsay coming in to tell them what they need to do differently to survive!

ivorystraws said:
BBC2 @ 21:50: Underground Britain
Having money woes? Would you like to get a few tips of a successful millionaire? In this documentary, film-maker Saul Dibb follows multi-millionaire property dealer Spencer Michael as he shares the tips that made him rich in a series of expensive seminars. However, claims arise about his business methods mid-way thought the film… .

Having watched 3 of the 4 (I could'nt sit through E&Y this year!) I think this one was by far the most interesting. It was fasinating to see how these property scams operate and how naive peple can be... borrowing on a credit card to buy a house - you most be incrediably foolish! Spencer charged over STG£3,000 for a weekend seminar (plus his book cost STG£400+) No wonder he's so rich. It made excellent TV althought its sad to see people being exploited in this way, particularly the black couple (nurse and social worker) who borrowed £30,000 on a credit card and gave it too him...

Back