Threshold on the eviction ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, there was a moderate tightening of rents in 1999-2001 which Charlie McCreevy took action to resolve in late 2001. Rents remained moderate from there on until 2011 or so (at which point house prices were on the floor), when they started tightening again, finally to the current ridiculous levels. Houses in out-of-the-way rural towns are now achieving rents of over €1,500 a month not because those towns are awash with money but because it's a sellers market.
Not true. The Accommodation Recognition Payment of €800 has set the bench mark in many rural areas. It is possible to run the rent a room in tandem with this. For two rooms this is €1600 tax free.

Not true. The Accommodation Recognition Payment of €800 has set the bench mark in many rural areas. It is possible to run the rent a room in tandem with this. For two rooms this is €1600 tax free.
The ongoing spike in rural rents long pre-dates the Ukraine war. The trend towards working from home post 2020 has been a bigger factor in it than the incentive to take Ukrainian refugees into private homes.

Last edited:
Both by local couples on family land.
Not any more.

2 in our locality since the last crash, a decade apart. Both by local couples on family land.

A total non-runner. It would be more honest to ban self-builds, although how that would help housing availability is beyond me.
The ongoing spike in rural rents long pre-dates the Ukraine war. The trend towards working from home post 2020 has been a bigger factor in it than the incentive to take Ukrainian refugees into private homes.
My experience of those who are working from home and new to rural Ireland are living in family holiday homes. Many holiday homes have also been made available to Ukrainian refugees as have homes whose owners are in nursing homes. The ARP is not just for private homes.

Both by local couples on family land.

My experience of those who are working from home and new to rural Ireland are living in family holiday homes.

I don't know why you're conflating local people building on family farmland with holiday home owners. The vast majority of locations in rural Ireland including my own area have zero appeal as a holiday home destination.
Many holiday homes have also been made available to Ukrainian refugees as have homes whose owners are in nursing homes. The ARP is not just for private homes.
We know that too, but the numbers of households accommodating Ukrainian refugees is tiny. 1,158 at the end of January 2023. https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0125/1...raine and International Protection applicants.

Guys. This private conversation/argument amongst yourselves puts everyone else off contributing to the thread.

You don't need to have the last word.
Make your point.
Clarify it if you need to.
But stop hogging the whole thread.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back