Three women on the Late Late

cremeegg

Ryan Tubridy had a panel on the Late late last night to discuss the state of the world. The three panellists were women, and I certainly formed the impression that it was a conscious decision to have an all women panel.

What struck me most forcibly about the panellists, how they differed most noticeably from a male group, was the obvious effort they put into their appearance.I can't see this as a good thing, are we supposed to look at them or listen to them. Paul Murphy, Noel Whelan, and any male FG ex senator would have turned up in their ordinary clothes.

I mentioned this to my wife, and her immediate reaction was, thats an Irish thing, it wouldn't be like that in xxx, (my wife is not Irish, she comes from a northern European country where women's role in public life is more and better established than in Ireland). She specifically mentioned fake tan.

I thought Kitty Holland's contribution was excellent, Terry Prone was more the usual chat show guest, she was amusing, though she certainly made her point well. FHE had a difficult job being the only politician and she handled it reasonably well.

But why did, at least two of them, want to adopt such a striking appearance, it detracted from their opinions.

...how they differed most noticeably from a male group, was the obvious effort they put into their appearance.I can't see this as a good thing, are we supposed to look at them or listen to them. Paul Murphy, Noel Whelan, and any male FG ex senator would have turned up in their ordinary clothes. I mentioned this to my wife, and her immediate reaction was, thats an Irish thing...
Have you forgotten Bertie Aherne's makeup bill so soon? An Irish thing? -- Silvio Berlusconi was a great one for the oul' makeup too, not to mention that brown boot polish on his septuagenarian head. Paul Murphy wouldn't be into it because he wears his "skanger chic" as a badge of honour. But we have plenty of preening peacocks among our male pols.

Last edited:
But it's not just TV appearances and it is not just Ireland. Compare the vast range of female cosmetics in your typical supermarket or Boots with the small range of male after shave. I have seen women come into work who are incredibly made up, almost a mask on their face. I feel sorry for them, the effort each day, the fear that a shower of rain will unmask them.

No guy in history has ever said, I'd like to see that girl with more fake tan... it's a conspiracy perpetuated by women against other women. Women need to stop dressing based on what's in women's magazines! Trust their instincts, or rely on classic looks.

If fashion was all that mattered, how can I watch a period film set in the 1820s or 1900s or 1950s, and still fall for the ingenue?

Compare the vast range of female cosmetics in your typical supermarket or Boots with the small range of male after shave.
Women behave differently to men? Who knew!

This could only be a discussion topic in a world brainwashed to believe there are no differences.

But it's not just TV appearances and it is not just Ireland. Compare the vast range of female cosmetics in your typical supermarket or Boots with the small range of male after shave. I have seen women come into work who are incredibly made up, almost a mask on their face. I feel sorry for them, the effort each day, the fear that a shower of rain will unmask them.
I agree. They put such strain on each other and can be so judgmental about each other's appearance. It's a shame how they objectify each other through the magazines they buy and the beauty industry which they sustain.

Back