Three Ireland/Belgard solicitors/Cabot debt collection letter

Eh1990

Hi so I had I mobile broadband contract with three Ireland. I was in London for 2 weeks in December and accidentally brought the small modem in my bag. Noticed as soon as I was at the airport in Dublin so I took the battery out being over cautious about roaming charges. Got my bill out in January and it stated that I had gone over my allowance (the first time in 4 years of having the contract this has happened) so I requested a detailed breakdown of charges. Sure enough there was charges for every day of the 2 weeks I had the battery removed from the modem...impossible! Basically got nowhere trying to rectify this with three so I just stopped paying the bill. Threw away the modem so there was no usage. Got a letter in February saying they were changing my contract and I could get out of it if I wished. Called them up to cancel but wasn't allowed to do so because there was outstanding dept. Explained the case again but still to no avail so I just ignored the bills. My contract was up in May anyway. My bill is now up at €173.10 and I've received a few letters from Belgard Solicitors asking for the payment. The last letter which I received today states that "in the even of your failure to discharge the debt to our office within seven days we received our clients peremptory instructions to issue legal proceedings against you. In the event of proceedings being issued we shall seek recovery of the full amount due together with any legal costs incurred." What should I do? Is this just a scare tactic or do I need to pay?

in the even of your failure to discharge the debt to our office within seven days we received our clients peremptory instructions to issue legal proceedings against you. In the event of proceedings being issued we shall seek recovery of the full amount due together with any legal costs incurred."

That's standard stuff and I've seen it before. They'll do a lot of huffing and puffing but little else imo. If you get a claim notice from Three's solicitor you'll know they are serious about litigating, but I think that is a highly improbable scenario.

Hello Eh1990 how did,this work out im getting the same letters from cabot and belgard solicitors.

Last edited:
Back