Three Dollar DVD

Re: 5 DVDs for a Dollar

However I dont know how you can be so sure Charlie Chan is running a knocking shop or a shooting up joint in China.
I can't be sure that he is involved in other criminal activities in addition to DVD piracy. However, on the balance of probabilities, it is fairly likely. Can you be sure that he's not?

Or is it a case that you really don't want to know?

3$

I got the customs letter (hence no DVD's). Also I heard that 3$ got busted.

However I will now try and order off one of the other sites offering much the same thing, I won't post the link here but if anybody is interested they can find them by browsing the 3$ messages board.

I ordered a few DVD's for personal use, I would prefer if our customs department spend more time trying to intercept drugs than going after the soft ones like this.

Re: 3$

I would prefer if our customs department spend more time trying to intercept drugs than going after the soft ones like this.
Sheer hypocracy, given that your DVD money is probably funding drug operations at the other end.

Re: 3$

> I would prefer if our customs department spend more time trying to intercept drugs than going after the soft ones like this.

Who says that they don't do both? :rolleyes

[broken link removed]

3dollaretc

Rainway: You are once again correct. When ordering these cheapies I didn't give too much thought to who was copying them. (protocol:should that be to whom?) Having received one consignment from them I am of the impression they are mainly copied for the massive Chinese internal black market. Most of the writing on the covers is oriental. New cd's cost about €20 in the shops. Sunday newspapers can give them away free. So its not the cost of the actual disc, nor the copying ,nor the packaging. It's greed along the line the makes them so expensive. Greed from artists,promotors,manufacturers and (probably) vendors. If new cds sold at €12 and new Dvd's sold at €15 there would not be a black market.
Pirates of the Caribbean sold in the shops last Christmas for around €30, I bought one on from cd wow hk for €18, and we are all familiar with how the music industry turned on cd wow. Now the dvd stores are trying to sell them (?) at €7.99. Where has the €22 gone? As long as there's a need to be filled, because of incompetance or greed, there will always be an opening for someone else. In the case of Aer Lingus it was Ryanair, in the case of the music/film industry, which is a cartel, it will be the black market. For whats it worth I borrowed shrek 2 from a workmate about two weeks ago. She got it in England! Pretty good quality, sound a little hissy, and a little bit duller than I suspect the authentic version. And to add to the spice when I informed my 17 year old that he could not swap it with his friends as I only had it for one night, he had already seen it, at a friends house. What do the auctioners always say, Location.

Re: 3dollaretc

Nice set of ethics you are showing there, Cu - Regardless of your views on the entertainment industry (some of which I share), you are almost certainly supporting organised crime overseas by your actions. The next time your house gets broken into or your car gets robbed, don't go running to the Gardai or your insurance company - clearly you believe in 'every-man-for-himself' and 'dog-eat-dog', so if you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Re: 3dollaretc

> Sunday newspapers can give them away free. So its not the cost of the actual disc, nor the copying ,nor the packaging.

I don't think that logic is sound to be honest. Surely newspapers subsume the cost of such "freebies" on the assumption that they will recoup any losses through increased circulation? The fact that they bundle them "free" with their main product does not reflect the overall real costs of producing them in the first place. Anyway they're usually crap.

3buckdvd

Rainyday:My final word on this. I have never purchased a dvd/cd in Jonesboro even though this would be far and away the easiest and cheapest option for me. ( dvds cost €10 in Jonesboro) No problem around here finding out who is selling the crap and who the good copies ( in Jonesboro). I have used cd wow fairly regularly and also play.com. I have also purchased a number of dvds off ebay. How individuals/shops/dealers sell them on ebay at sometimes very soft prices I dont know. All dvds I have bought through ebay were brand new in sealed cases and were genuine. As for my 17 year old watching shrek 2 in someone elses house, I have no say in where others buy their dvds/cds. As for borrowing my work colleagues copy of aforsaid dvd, to be honest I could not pass it up. Too tempting. Unregistered User:I accept that the papers increase their circulation, and that most ARE crap. Although one of my favourite cds is rock legends which was free with the Sunday Tribune last year. I was just making the point that the cost of a dvd is not relative to the cost of manufacture or packaging. Dvds just HAVE to cost less to make than Video tapes, yet they are more expensive. Greed.
You are going to give out to me again about this, I used to buy fireworks in Jonesboro before they were made legal. And I have also bought Chivas Regal at £10 punts a bottle in Jonesboro. And yes I knew it was knocked off. the bottles read 'sole importers into Thailand ,Seagram and company Bankock. But I couldn't resist. Human. And I know fireworks are not legal in the south ( yet) but come to Dundalk next Halloween and whatever fireworks you see in Dublin or elsewhere - double it.
Fin.

Re: 3buckdvd

Hi Cu

I'm not interested in giving out to you at all at all. I just want to make sure you understand that by buying pirated material (whether in Ireland or from abroad), there is a pretty good chance that you are supporting organised crime. So don't be surprised when you find the same organised crime guys will be selling ecstacy/coke/herion in your community, remember that what goes around, comes around.

I was just making the point that the cost of a dvd is not relative to the cost of manufacture or packaging. Dvds just HAVE to cost less to make than Video tapes, yet they are more expensive. Greed.

Why the hell should it relate to the cost of manufacturing or packaging? You're don't bring the DVD home and look at the packing or drool over the smoothly manufactured surface. You watch the movie - the content, the intellectual property.

Do you expect your daily newspaper to related to the cost of the rolls of paper? Do you expect your SKY subscription to relate to the cost of manufacturing the decoder box?

What gives you the right to decide at what level a price is 'greedy'? If I believe that the price of the product which you produce/make/sell is 'greedy', is it OK with you if I break into your warehouse & help myself? If you reckon the price is greedy, don't buy the product. But don't go out there & steal it either.

I'd bet a fiver that you would never think of popping into HMV and slipping the DVD under your jumper - but you don't have any problem with buying pirate DVDs which you know well have been ripped off.

Re: 3buckdvd

A useless bit of information.
The CD's that Ireland on Sunday give away, you will find have been given away free with the English papers 4/5 weeks earlier in papers like the English Mail on Sunday which costs 1.20 Euro (approx) as opposed to the IoS which costs 1.80/2.00 Euro (can't remember exact numbers).
Do you buy the paper for the content or the CD?

3dollar

I am going back on my word, in that I said I was finished with this topic. However in the Sundays Times last Sunday Bob Geldof was featured about a new dvd of the live aid concert in 1985 and how much they hope to make for charity etc. He was going to ask retailers to take a cut on their profit on the dvd. Partly in order to cut out the black market and also to increase the take for charity. And the retailers profit on each dvd? €18.

Re: 3dollar

Profit levels do not justify theft. The profit levels on beauty creams is huge, probably higher than the CD's - Would you recommend shoplifting for beauty creams.

If you don't like their profits, don't buy the product. If you buy pirated product, be aware that you are probably supporting organised crime.

Profit levels do not justify theft.

how many are logged on in employers time (paid for) and on the employers network/internet = theft

what a bunch of 2 faced hypocrites infest this board

Re: Profit levels do not justify theft.

what a bunch of 2 faced hypocrites infest this board

Sounds like conversation. Not the same thing as what rainyday is talking about here mind you. He's talking about who you might be bankrollling.

But then it's probably easier for you to ignore that fact.

Back