Thoughts on VW Polo or Kia Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passport1

Anyone own or drive either a

VW Polo Deisel
or
Kia Rio Deisel

Thoughts on them - Good car, reliable, efficient, economical, hold their value, etc

Thanks

For me, a no brainer - Rio every time.

The diesel in particular is meant to be very good - loads of torque.

Not sure about Welfarite's comments - Polo will hold it's value better certainly but I doubt it's more reliable. Economy is probably pretty similar - no?

Rio is obviously much roomier, much cheaper and has that SEVEN year warranty.

For me the only advantage the Polo would have is the name - Kia are still viewed as "cheapo" in some quarters.

FWIW, we will probably be going for a Rio diesel a few months down the line.

have kia rio saloon diesel 09 (had 07 petrol), find them a great car, excellent fuel economy, excellent room, low tax rate, powerful on takeoff and driving

seven year warranty only if brand new.

car is def seen as "cheapo" by some people, Trade in not good if looking to change to a different brand but main Kia dealers are much better.

I would check every detail on the Kia ur looking at, as after I purchased mine two things missing that drive me cracked, NO CENTRAL LOCKING (but salesman paid to put it in as he had told me there was) and also boot pull missing in 09 model which means boot can only be opened outside with the car key only which means turning off the car everytime (my eldest daughter has the spare key as terrible hassle when putting schools bags in/out boot).

If you are any way interested in cars that hold their value, it would always be Polo over Rio, irrespective of what they are like to drive.

I have had four Polos and never a problem, good petrol consumption also.
I will buy another one. Good Luck Browtal

Thanks for feedback

On the Polos - can you open the boot from inside the car - where is the lever to open it or can you only open it from outside the car

Also, in what direction do you push/pull/move the control on the streering wheel to switch on and off the back window wiper

What would Motor tax on Polo and Rio for diesel versions cost?

Thanks

Hello,
My Polo can only be opened from the back with key, ther is not enough space for golf clubs without taking out the woods, a bit of a disadvantage. Booth is small enough. Back seats collapse for extra space.
One small problem the windows occasionally dont obey the open/close command, I have had this problem with two of the cars.
I dont know what way the rear window wipers work, but if you are a driver you automatically push them in the right direction, I did not notice any difference to other cars, I regularly drive a Passat also.
Browtal

You need to go look at both cars in person.

I bought a new polo diesel for my wife. I have to say it doesn't really impress me. The 1.6 dielsel engine is very perky but I find the car a bit 'tinney' overall. The gear box is quiet lose. Maybe it's because I am used to a volvo. It's bigger than the old polo and we found the boot probably the largest in the this class. They have brought out a 1.2diesel now.

All that said, when we were looking we briefly looked at the Kia and thought pretty much everything about them looked and felt cheap. They were not that cheap to buy to compensate for this. Allowing for the awful resale value we took it no further. Is there an issue with transferring the warranty to second owner? It seems, with the exception of their jeeps that there is little market for a used Kia, forcing you to buy another kia.

All these diesels 1.6 or less will have the same road tax of 104.

We choose the Polo as it's a model that only came out in late 09 which will also help the resale value.
My wife seems happy with it and it was a v good scrappage deal.

i do agree other people see them as a cheap car but i never have found any fault in them "feeling" cheap or sub-standard. For instance not once did any thing every wear or break despite having good mileage covered and three kids in and out.

Im surprised other model cars have only one way to enter boot by using key externally (have previously owned kia, ford, Peugeot, and they always had a boot pull from the inside or a press type control on the boot itself). Thought this was an example of why people viewed kia as cheap.

Rio is cheap and reliable. My wife has it. Worth recommending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back