Those clever guys over at IBEC....

rainyday, LOL!!

That really brightened up my Monday morning.

ajapale

Bravo sir!!!!!

That's the 2004 post of the year.

It beats my favourite statistic that 50% of children have
below average reading ability.

-Rd

It beats my favourite statistic that 50% of children have below average reading ability.

That's because they're female! :p

Re: 50%

I was astonished to hear the RTE report on it today. I wondered if it had come from the same RTE comedy department which produced CrimeCall or if IBEC actually said that.

Then they interviewed a guy from IBEC who said that, firms, on average, lost 3.5% of something through absenteeism. "But some firms lose way more than the average!". It is astonishing.

They will be transferring an economist from SIPTU to IBEC, to raise the average standard of both organisations.

Brendan

!

What they probably want to do is ban drink. This is what it all boils down to.

Prohibition here we come!

Re: !

Well if the goal was to make a link between drink and absenteeism then they've failed.

As Rainyday points out, the figures actually show that the weekend does not have any more impact on absenteeism than any other time of the week.

Incidently I think my joke about average reading ability went over peoples head. It wouldn't matter if every child in the country came from wealthy families, 50% of them would still be below average reading ability.

It's just not the same if I have to explain it.

-Rd

Hi Rd,

I enjoyed your comment and was amazed that it went over the heads of some posters.

To explain, there are 5 days in the working week. Friday and Monday are the problematic 'shoulder' days. 2/5 = 40%. If absenteeism was a completely random event unrelated to the day of the week you would expect the figure for Friday/Monday to be 40%.

At first I thought it was the RTE journo or subeditor who put it in but rainyday pointed out that it was in IBEC's own highlights.

Are the IBEC economists 'statistically challenged'? If so can we trust other IBEC interpretations and observations on data?

ajapale

I enjoyed your comment and was amazed that it went over the heads of some posters.

Actually it was rainyday who twigged the 40% I must admit that went over my head when I heard it on the radio in the morning. But I did get up at 5am so I'm pleading insanity.

My comment was about the reading ability which I believe is a genuine Newspaper headline from the UK in the 1980's. So I'm told anyhow.

Anyhow it's all behind us now and we can all get on with our lives safe in the knowledge that Weekend drinking binges are having no effect on absenteeism.

Hurrah! For IBEC.

-Rd

IBEC are muppets. They'll apparently say anything to try to convince people that their employees are trying to rip them off every which way they can.

Their grubby fingerprints were all over the collapse of the carbon tax proposals too.

Back