Third party write off

R

robindarling

I recently had a crash but only have third party insurence have so have been told that the car and what happens to it is my responsibility.

However, I have no idea what i am meant to do with it. After the incident the police arranged for the car to go to a garage. I am now having to pay £200 for the pick up and £22 per day to hold tha car. When i called the garage and asked what happens next they didnt seem to grasp that as I only have third party insurence they are not getting involoved. So I dont even know if the damage is worth fixing (I would be really surprised if it was) I mentioned scraping the car and was told this would be a further £75 pounds. But what on earth happens to the car? Surely it is still full of parts that can be used and so would i not get some money for that?
Basically i have no idea how these things are done and just want it resolved with minimal cost to me. The ideal situation would be just to have a car repaired but as it is unlikely all other suggestions and advice would be wonderful.

If I was you I would have the garage prepare an estimate for the repairs if you feel that it may be repairable. But the garage should be able to give you a rough idea even without preparing an estimat. In the meantime do a bit of homework regarding its pre accident value. This will help you decide if you ultimately feel that its worth repairing. And remember to be realistic with its valuation. Your insurance company wont get involved because you are not insured comprehensively so I would remove your car asap otherwise you are going to be left with a huge storage cost

I suspect you are based in the UK and AskAboutMoney.com is an Irish site.

I believe with only 3rd party insurance, you are responsible for all costs - towing, storage, scrapping etc. You may be able to sell the car to a reclaimer's / scrapper's yard - check local phone directories.

Back