Thinking to buy in Swiftbrook, what is it like to live in?

F

fan_by

Hi,

Swiftbrook, Tallaght, whats the estate like does anyone know? safe to walk around at night? any problems i should know about? any info would be very helpfull, thanks

Which Swiftbrook as a few estates of that name around. If your talking about the estate in Tallaght then no I wouldn't recommend. I used to live there so think I can give an honest opinion. You couldn't pay me to go back. Bought a house there in 2001 at which time it was a nice little estate. Not the best area in the world but the estate was well contained and kept well. Fast forward a few years and the amount of houses being rented out (to less than desirable tenants) skyrocketed and anti-social behaviour just became the norm.

I luckily sold 3 years ago and moved to another area purely because I began to hate living there. You couldn't leave your wheelie bin outside at night because it would be robbed to be burned on a bonfire, "certain" residents began dumping rubbish into the alley at the side of the estate causing an influx of vermin, cars volleying around late at night and the straw that broke the camels back was a young man being stabbed to death on my road. While I know that can happen anywhere and there were some really nice people living there I'd had enough & decided to leave. I have a friend who lives nearby and it looks to have gotten worse since I left. At the end of the day you have to feel comfortable in your home and I wasn't there.

Thank you SASSYB,

now i see why it's so attractive pricewise :[

Hey Sassyb, Exactly the same reasons I moved out 3 years ago too. It was an absolute kip of kips. Murders in the estate, one of the scissor sisters was a resident for a few months before the trial, distraction robbers were also residents and to this day still are. There are photos of them on crimeline. Wouldnt recommend this place even if you got the house for free.

AN

Hi folks,
been there yesterday @ viewing...
even worst of anyting as i read here or on other forums, nightmare.
first when drove into estate and was looking for house, so asked lad on the street where is the house that i need and have been told to "ƒŨĆĶ OFF". left my car on the guest parking and walked around, car was keyed when i was back. plenty of litter around, rubbish bags on the road, kids drinking and throwing empty bottles on to the road, plenty of broken glass. skip of rubbish still burning since helloween (agent explanation). looks like a lot of houses rented out. very strong negative impression

Fan_by as I said not an area I would ever return to. As asknicely said wouldn't live there for free!!. In saying that I wouldn't let it put you off Tallaght full stop are there are some nice estates around you just need to do your homework first.

I feel really sorry for scores of really nice genuine people that are left there and now can't get out for love nor money. I sold my house there just under 3 years ago for 310K. I've recently seen one on the web for 150K and I would say you would have trouble selling even at that price. In comparison, I bought my new house for 440K and there are currently for sale for ~350K so while the price of my new house has fallen its no-where near as severe as in Swiftbrook because its more desirable area to live in. I can only thank my lucky stars I got out when I did.

...and... forgot... house is owner occupied and it was sheath with knife hanging on the headboard in main bedroom :eek:

Back