Thinking of investing via GCM (Activeinvesting)

Think this is what he is talking about

[broken link removed]

Personally I would avoid like the plague.

Don't expect any encouragement from this site.
Pretty conservative bunch !

There's a significant difference between prudence and conservatism. :rolleyes:

If you think that ActiveInvesting is a good idea then why don't you just say so and why?

Don't expect any encouragement from this site.
Pretty conservative bunch !

Would love to hear your reasons why you would invest EUR 50,000-100,000 based on what you read from that site or what encouragement you could give to the OP.

Never heard of it before,had a read and

Basically they charge you $1500 for investment advice to buy and sell the same stocks they hold in their managed fund.

You do this through an online trading account,you would own these shares yourself you are just paying the 1500 for their research

The shares being bought and sold are shares listed on NASDAQ ,NYSE,AMEX

They only trade in 6-8 shares,they select shares based on research etc which they believe are undervalued

Sounds pretty ok to me,if you had $100000 to invest, $1500 would be quite reasonable to pay for advice to make the kind of returns they are talking about

Never heard of it before,had a read and

Basically they charge you $1500 for investment advice to buy and sell the same stocks they hold in their managed fund.

You do this through an online trading account,you would own these shares yourself you are just paying the 1500 for their research

The shares being bought and sold are shares listed on NASDAQ ,NYSE,AMEX

They only trade in 6-8 shares,they select shares based on research etc which they believe are undervalued

Sounds pretty ok to me,if you had $100000 to invest, $1500 would be quite reasonable to pay for advice to make the kind of returns they are talking about

Why would clients of GCM pay the charges below if all they had to do was pay $1500 for subscription and do the trades themselves.

'G.C.M, like the original Buffett partnership has an unusual set of rules, charging clients only when returns of 10% are reached. When gains of 10% are reached, a management fee of 5% is only then applicable. All gains in excess of 25% are shared 50/50 between clients and ourselves. All subscriber fees are based on our fund’s minimum yearly management fee of 1.5% or €1,500 as entry to our fund is set at €100,000'

Also can't find independent confirmation of the funds performance but am open to correction if they did achieve annual average returns of 45%.

GCM is basically a chap from Cork called Kevin Lucey. I've heard him talk about his investing strategy a couple of times and he is very interesting to listen to. There is no real hocus pocus to it, just a lot of leg work chasing down undervalued stocks and having the ability to wait for them to come good (where regulated funds may have to be more cautious etc).

With regard to his fund he doesn't typically open it to your average joe soap last I heard so I'd be surprised if you could just get in touch with him and buy in?
When he starts a new fund he tends to have a figure in mind and it gets filled via a couple of high net worth individuals along with a number of people who've had a heads up in advance who have to front a minimum of 200K.

He's relatively open to questions (at any of the forums I've seen him speak at) and doesn't seem to be hiding anything. His five year record is very good but only time will tell if he's a Buffet or Peter Lynch type fund manager or a flash in the pan. I know I liked what I heard when I heard him talk and have put a number of his basic principles (which are really in fairness a lot of the common sense basic tenets from value investing that if you have read the usual suspects you should already know) into practice.

Note : in the above i mention forums I've heard him speak at. I would stress that he wasn't flogging anything at this. He wasn't really prepared to accept customers. Definitly not for his fund and didn't really want the hassle of the the €1500 customers.

Silvermuppet

If he has all the business he needs why do you think he is bothering speaking at these conferences ?
Its not very clear from the website what you get exactly for the $1500,as another poster said he is hardly informing you every time he makes a buy or sell decision for his fund.

It seems from the website you can sign up for the yearly subscription fee of $1500, would be interested in hearing if anyone has done this

Silvermuppet

If he has all the business he needs why do you think he is bothering speaking at these conferences ?

I saw him at the ICES stuff a couple of times and as far as I am aware it's as a favour to the organisers.

Its not very clear from the website what you get exactly for the $1500,as another poster said he is hardly informing you every time he makes a buy or sell decision for his fund.

All you get is access to his trade information, ie what he is investing in. You also I believe get to see what's on his watch list. He sets it up such that he highlights stocks he likes and prices he will get in at if they drop to it etc. If you are small time it's not really worth it to be fair.

It seems from the website you can sign up for the yearly subscription fee of $1500, would be interested in hearing if anyone has done this

A friend of mine did it as himself and another chap wanted to invest but not bother researching. The problem they've found is that Lucey's stuff is all geared for the american markets and they've found over the last 2 years while their investments are doing well (they've invested on stocks he's recommended) they are getting murdered on the dollar exchange rate. In essence they are only really breaking even.
I'd be interested to know how GCM are handling their dollar exposure myself.

As I said, I've found him an interesting person to hear speak, I prefer to research my own stocks though.

Back