Thinking of buying a home in Rathdrum Wicklow

Amy Mclean

Hello,

Thinking of buying a house in Rathdrum, moving from Dublin. Looking for information about the town, is it a nice place to live? What the schools are like, (daughter is 7) . Any information would be great, as it's a big step.

Hi Amy I'm originally from Rathdrum but not living there at the moment but I do still have most of my family there and I am back home a few times every month so here's my opinions,
I'm thinking you are buying in either Viewmount or Killian's Glen or maybe Woodpark but I think that is sold out.
Anyway to me I think the town is a good place to live and bring up a family.
It had a town centre development that came to a halt in the crash of 2008 and it's being an eyesore in the middle of the town ever since but at last things are moving again and a new library and primary care centre are going ahead there now,so that's good to see.
There are 4 schools in the town,Rathdrum boys national, Our lady's girls,and St Saviours mixed there is also a secondary school Avondale community college.
In my opinion all these schools would have a vey good reputation.
Most things you need are available in the area, a decent Centra and a couple of other small shops,a few pubs and a small hotel Jacobs Well, the Rosslare Dublin train service and a limited bus service both of which could do with being improved,
lots of sports clubs,Gaa,Soccer,Rugby and youth club and scouts etc,also a beautiful location for outdoor activities like walking or just enjoying the country side with Avondale on your door step.
It's a big decision for you and one of the big difference you will notice is the commute to work depending on your work situation.
So overall I'd say the area is a good town to move to with a lot of development ongoing or in the pipeline for the near future so the schools might reach capacity,in the last year alone I'd say around 100 new houses have been sold across the 3 developments also the town would have issues no different than any other ares and better than most.
Hope this is a help to you, and if you want to know anything specific you can reply or pm me .

Hi Amy, Have you bought the house in Rathdrum ? We are planning for a house in Rathdrum, we have 9 months old. I appreciate if you can provide any insight. Thank you

I visited yesterday. The people I met were very friendly. I got a lovely dinner there, especially the Toblerone cheesecake. Very good service. Free parking nearly everywhere in town.
I was talking to some school leavers working part-time jobs. Very friendly and very together young people.
Seems to be a campsite and canoeing too in Rathdrum.
Went on the tree top walk in nearby Avondale. Newly constructed local amenity.
Just the random impressions of a day tripper.

Back