Thinking changing from VHI's Plan B to Quinn or Hibernian? Cornmarket and Brokers

Re: Health Insurance: VHI/Quinn/Hibernian?

Hi Mags,

Can you clarify which plan you are quoting here?

I can find no reference to a "Nurses" Everyday Level 2 Plan on the Aviva health site. There is a "Nurses Plan" brochure available, shown under Tailored Plans.

Is it the normal Level 2 Everyday Plan, as shown here, or another plan with additional bells and whistles for Nurses?

Does it cost more or less than the normal Level 2 Everyday Plan?

Can one get a quote for this plan on-line, directly from Aviva, or does one need to go via a broker?

Is it available to any member of the public seeking Health Insurance, as it should be, or are Aviva attempting to obscure the availability of this Plan, or indeed the Teachers Plan quoted by the other Cornmarket enthusiast Marymack?

Just looking for some clarification here, as this is definitely a mine-field when trying to do comparisons between plans.

Re: VHI/Quinn/Hibernian?

Under open enrolment, anyone can join any plan - health insurers can't refuse cover to anyone. (They can recommend a different plan for you, especially if the one you want to join doesn't offer cover you may have explicitly stated you want.)

To join the Everyday Nurses Plan, it's just a call to Aviva. The product comparison tool on the HIA website gives some information about the cover, but Aviva will probably be able to send a full brochure.

I did some checking myself to be honest. it is only Level 2 Everyday online and directly wiwth Aviva and for an adult it costs E890. but I went with the Nurses option which is E5 more but gives extra benefits like orthoptic soles and podiatrist visits. handy for me as I am on my feet all day so well worth it. As far as i know the Nurses version is available by going through Cornmarket as they deal with union members (I mentioned previously that I had my car insurance and AVCs - also under the Nurses scheme and have done for years)

Irish Pancake give Cornmarket a ring, as loyal as I was to VHI, their services have been good to me over the years and I have to say they made things very very easy to understand.

Mags, I will not, under any circumstances, call Cornmarket to do anything for me.

These people, Cornmarket, have been well and truely exposed for their mis-selling of AVC's and their misleading advice to Nurses, Teachers, etc. regarding NSP's (Notional Service Purchase) versus AVC's.

There was a Primetime exposé relating specifically to this situation, back in November 2008, [broken link removed].

I would urge you, and anyone else who purchased AVC's from these people to take a look at it, as it is devastating public service broadcasting at it's best.

The Cornmarket MD Michael O'Brien was tied up in knots by Mark Little.

Eddie Hobbs said Cornmarket were selling stuff (AVC's) which were like Alice in Wonderland.

Brendan Burgess, of this parish, also turns up, and criticises Cornmarket for their mis-selling of AVC's and misleading advice regarding NSP's.

The investigation shows the sweet-heart exclusive deals with Teachers and Nurses Unions. (Sponsorships and donations to the Unions for Senate campaigns, etc.)

NSP's (notional service purchase) are shown to be superior in every way to AVC's promoted by Unions and sold by Cornmarket.

An actuary interviewed showed that NSP are not as expensive as AVC's promoted by Cornmarket and pushed by the Unions.

You should look at the programme, linked above, and then decide for yourself what the advice given by Cornmarket may have cost you in terms of Pension benefits, as opposed to the risk-free NSP option. the Cornmarket advisor?/salesman actually said NSP's are "risky", when in fact they are completely risk-free.

Sorry Mags, but I feel it's important for people who come to AAM for advice, should be fully informed.

You can't expect to come on here and be allowed to give so-called advice regarding peoples hard-earned cash which simply is not in acordance with the facts.

That kind of advice we can do without.

Are you qualified to give such advice? If not, then it is simply your opinion.

Your uncritical and benign view/marketing/advice regarding Cornmarket is an instance which has to be challenged in view of the known facts, which I have linked in my previous post.

This is particularly so as the Prime Time Investigation in question actually raises a lot of questions regarding their AVC product, which you mentioned you have.

I know I would be checking up on that ASAP.

Thanks, IP

The HIA website is a great idea. However it can be a little confusing when you enter it... The HIA office now advise that you dont enter any plan details if you are trying to compare your existing plan, simply leave everything blank then go select the plan you are on.. the quickest way to find it is if you have the price per adult. Remember when you click on this this is only the price per adult so if you have a spouse the price would be X2 and children are additional... you can only compare 3 at a time... Click on Show all and this will allow you score down through them. Hope this Helps Emma Gollogly

Thank you Emma

This makes the comparison function much, much easier!!!

You are indeed a Star.

Regards

IP

Just an update regarding the availability of so-called "company" or "corporate" plans from most health insurers.

This article from today's Indo. takes the lid off to some extent.

Chief executive Liam Sloyan advises: "There is a wide range of plans on the market varying significantly in price. Most people can save a lot of money without significantly reducing their cover.

"All insurers have plans that are branded as 'corporate' or 'company' plans. These often provide similar benefits at lower prices, but all individuals as well as companies are entitled to buy them so big savings can be made there. A difficulty is that these plans are normally sold directly to companies and so they can be difficult to find on insurers' websites.

"The HIA has a product-comparison facility on its website (www.hia.ie ) that compares all of the plans in the market.

"People who don't have access to the internet can contact the Health Insurance Authority at 01 4060080 and we'll help."

But don't forget where the real good advice came from, kudos to NovaFlare77.

In my opinion, which is just an opinion, ppl. should follow NF77's advice, and that offered in the Indo article.

Brokers should be avoided for Health Insurance, IMHO, particularly those with a demonstrably bad rep like Cornmarket.

Emma, you don't need to be a Broker to use the HIA web-site.

Can a broker offer something which is not included on the HIA site?

The HIA have undertaken to help people use the site, see this Indo article

Chief executive Liam Sloyan advises:..............................

People who don't have access to the internet can contact the Health Insurance Authority at 01 4060080 and we'll help.
I think you demonstrated how best to use this in the thread yourself, which was helpful advise.

Are you a Broker?

Can you do a direct switch between VHI to Quinn, and still be covered, like when i first started with VHI I wasn't covered for the first 6 months, is there a period where you are not covered when you switch

Can you do a direct switch between VHI to Quinn, and still be covered, like when i first started with VHI I wasn't covered for the first 6 months, is there a period where you are not covered when you switch

when you join an insurance comp for the first time, you have to go through the 6 month period, after that you can transfer between companies, without having to go through the 6 month period again. once the cover was not broken between moving companies.

However if you were on a basic plan, with one company and move to another company to a higher plan to get better cover you may have additional periods to wait for the higher level of cover to kick in. But you will still have the same level of cover as you had previously ....

Thats to stop people moving to a higher plan after they find out they have to go to Mater private/blackrock etc for a big op

Back