think my bank is trying to rip me off

paperclip

sorry if this is a bit long...

i switched from my old bank to ptsb recently.

signed all the forms to do the switch, they said everything would be grand, which i believed, because that's their job.

anyway, i notice on my new ptsb statement online, that my ssia dd was never switched over, and that i had missed a payment, & the interest of course.

my next payment was due soon, so i got onto ptsb, who told me to go to my old bank and sign some mandate thing (blaming boi for not telling me to do this)

my old bank was blaming ptsb, for whom i have to hold responsible. (yes i know i should have kept a closer eye on my account, but i assumed they knew what they were doing)

anyway, the guys in boi (my old bank) said the the dd switch over would not clear in time to make my next ssia payment, which was due in 2 days.

i said could it not just be paid into the account, to which they said, no, they don't do that.

so, i get back on to ptsb, their general customer care number, and girl on the end of the phone said to ring my branch and set up a standing order and all would be grand, the money would go in instantly.

then i'm told it would take 3 days for the money to clear, by my branch.

then i'm told by a guy in the branch that if i authorised, by fax, the withdrawel of the funds, he'd personaly deposit it in a boi account.

now, i told him, that boi had already told me this couldn't be done, but at this stage, who the hell am i supposed to believe, it's worth a shot.

so, the money leaves my account, plus a suspect tenner, which i get refunded after querying it with ptsb's helpline.

today, i ring my old bank, to check the balance on my ssia account, and the money has not gone through.

i ring ptsb branch to talk to the guy in question, but he's moved to a different branch.

are they realy trying to rip me off?

Hm, I never trust banks to transfer DDs or SOs correctly, always do it myself.
Also I try to avoid utility bills on DD/SO as they DON'T go out on regular dates. Only use it if I really have to in these cases.

lff12 said:
Also I try to avoid utility bills on DD/SO as they DON'T go out on regular dates. Only use it if I really have to in these cases.
Ever since a spell of unemployment a few years back when I wanted more control over cashflow I too avoid DDs/SOs as far as possible and use online banking to make utility and similar bill payments (allowing a few days for payments to be processed/cleared). It's not paranoia or anything but just that I prefer to maintain closer control on these matters. I've never had problems with missed or duplicated DD/SO payments or cancelling redundant payments.

I had the exact same situation - switched from BOI to PTSB and found that BOI were really difficult and playing sillybeggers now that i had moved over the other side, and would not accept a SO for the SSIA payment (or cash or cheque for that matter while the accounts were being changed) - PTSB rushed through a DD mandate to them and it took them 6 weeks and 3 letters (2 actual signed mandates as the first was lost) and a hundred phonecalls before the payments went through correctly. I missed one month payment and was furious with BOI. I have to say PTSB were great - i kept getting on to the same girl in the branch who was calling to see if it was gone through as well and would get the BOI persons name too so i was not going to be fobbed off with the "she is on leave can i help".

I switched from BOI to AIB recently as I got a cheque in the post one day from BOI telling me that they over charged me on fees. 40 bloody quid. I was not impressed. When i was switching to AIB they were very helpful and told me they would sort everything out including my wages. You're probably expecting me to say they were rubbish. Nope, absolutely everything went swimmingly. I think its because of AIB influence. Maybe they play hard ball more with BOI than PTSB do. AIB online rocks.

I can't believe that many (the majority) of people in Ireland just do not want to face up to a very simple and sad reality. YOU (WE) ARE RIPPED OFF AND ROBBED IN FULL DAY LIGHT IN IRELAND EVERY SINGLE DAY.
My most recent example:

I had to transfer €60.000,- from my Irishaccount (Ulster Bank), to my German Bank (Dresdnerr Bank). Anticipating ripp off, I did my homework and got the information I needed prior to talking to the bank,-always the best thing to do, as the banksin general pretend not to know (amazingly enough always to their advantage!).
THat included their own schedule of payments (printed 01/06) for transactions.
Anyway, it cost me 1hour!! in the branch, trying to transfer my money for €1,02,- to Germany as, if cabable of reading clearly is indicated on Ulster Banks schedule of payments. They, as 6 different staff were involved at different times, wanted to charge me almost everything ranging from €44,- to €600,- (1%/60.000), although!! very early on when I approached the first staff at the counter, that person told me, that she was not really sure how it's works.

Can't do that everyday, just to time intensive, but I feel it to be important that more people every now and then start informing themselves independently and challenge the likes of banks, solicitors, builders etc.

Everyone interested in looking at ideas how to potentially organising something around the issue, feel free to contact, should there be supporting interest I could start facilitating a process.

Till then, enjoy life as it's great and always remember that you can't take it with you anyway!

cologneboy

No your not being ripped off....!!! or robbed of your money as cologneboy seems to believe.. unless of course you believe that a member of the bank has willfully withheld your payment and has deposited in their own bank account...!!!

but you have been giving a very shoody and unprofessional service from both PTSB and BOI....

you have lost on the interest on your SSIA payment due to bad service and I would not hesitate to ask for a refund of such loss from PTSB, as they should of had the SSIA payment switched over in time...BOI should have accepted a direct withdrawal and lodgment from your account to your SSIA... I worked in banking many years ago and to say
" thats not possible " is basically untrue.. the banking system most banks use these days is very sophisticated and at any time the system can be overwritten and manual payments allowed on nearly every type of transaction.

cologneboy said:
I can't believe that many (the majority) of people in Ireland just do not want to face up to a very simple and sad reality. YOU (WE) ARE RIPPED OFF AND ROBBED IN FULL DAY LIGHT IN IRELAND EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Please take stuff like this to Letting Off Steam when you are able to post there (50+ posts and one month+ registration). And remember that as long as charges are clearly listed for consumers to study before making a buying decision then the fact that they may be higher than available elsewhere does not mean that they are a "rip off". A real rip-off might be not divulging charges until after the fact or charging more than initially outlined.

Back