Think I'm literally letting off steam...

odyssey06

“There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.”
- Raymond Chandler, Red Wind

The heat is on... I put a basin of dishwater over the car and I think I saw steam coming from the roof.

I'm remembering scenes from old movies where the character stands beside an open fridge door to cool down.

People did that in movies? I thought I invented it during a summer in Boston when my apartment rental had no aircon. The only relief from the 110F temps was going up to the roof of the apartment block during the nightly thunderstorms (which some of the neighbours did in swimming trunks). Even the department stores were sold out of electric fans -- I had to pathetically wave a two-inch toy one at myself. Speaking of movies, after all my pure Irish wool suits disintegrated from sweat, I looked like a bedraggled character from Ice Cold in Alex.

Ah good old Raymond Chandler - a scion of old Waterford Quaker stock , 2 blue plaques in the City remember his close ties to the Deise .

Back